Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > slippery, even maybe oily finish in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
tmurph6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default slippery, even maybe oily finish in beer

Hey all, I've been posting a lot lately trying to diagnose some issues in my extract beers. I started a thread earlier in the week about some bitterness in my first two batches. I decided to pull another taster today of my pale. I'm pleased to say that the beer is improving, and I probably jumped the gun and whined about the bitter finish. It still finishes a little dry with bitterness, but it may legitimately be hop bitterness. I'm happy to report that the beer is coming along well and the the beer is really improving with age (who would have thought, right). OK, but here's my real question:

I have complained that the finish has been a bit dry, but mainly that it kind of makes my throat mucus up and all together finishes kinda oily. Have you ever seen people like spit and suck it back in cause their saliva is all...mucusy (gross thread right). That's how it makes my mouth after each sip. What causes this kind of mouthfeel? Low levels of diacetyl? I did only let it ferment like 10 days then crash cool and keg...What gives? The beer was brewed on 4/9 and kegged on 5/6.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

does it taste buttery?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
SnallygasterBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Hard to say without a bunch of specifics, but I would recommend not kegging/bottling/etc until the yeast flocs out and clears naturally. No reason to rush it and can only serve to make the beer worse, really. Depending on the gravity/yeast strain used rousing or slightly raising the temperature to encourage the yeast to continue cleaning up the beer can help mitigate off-flavors. Diacetyl reduction happens with time -- and if it wasn't cut down during conditioning it could give some slickness to the mouthfeel.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #4
tmurph6
Recipes 

No, doesn't taste buttery. I had this same slick, loogy off flavor in the first two beers I did. Both had a primary of around 10 days until crash cooling for 2 weeks then kegging for 3 weeks. I have a beer in primary now going on 4 weeks, so if it is diacetyl then this next beer should turn out great! If I take the beer out of the fridge and leave it at 70 for a week, do you think it will go away?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

oh, the whole batch is being refrigerated at once? i'd take it out and hope for the best, it won't happen at a cold temp.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
tmurph6
Recipes 

10 day primary, secondary cold crash for 2 weeks, transfer to keg where it's sitting on the gas. It'll be done carbing on Saturday so I'll take it out and let it sit for a week. Thanks!!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Xaphoeous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 794 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 59

just a thought...but does your water go through a softener? I have noticed that water that goes through a water-softener can tend to feel slick, slimy, etc...perhaps this is carrying over into your beer?

"Just chug a few. Then all of the sudden it's time to be drunk, and you don't have the time for whatever else you were doing." -TallDan

Old 05-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Tuggy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had this before. I even posted a thread about it once. Let me know if this relates... The mouthfeel is kind of like the feel of fish scales.. or in my isolated case (the mouthfeel of diesel fuel when trying to siphon it out of my tank because me idiot buddy filled my snowmobile with something other than premium.

I noticed this taste in my bottles after about 10-15 days of conditioning.. The carbanation was good, but it clearly wasn't ready. After another couple of weeks the mouthfeel and off taste mostly went away.

My biggest problem with that particular brew was that I heated my Steeping grains up to 200+ degrees and it may have something to do with the tannis of the grains.

Either way, both the mouthfeel and taste pretty much went away, and it was consumable... But not my best

Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
tmurph6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaphoeous
just a thought...but does your water go through a softener? I have noticed that water that goes through a water-softener can tend to feel slick, slimy, etc...perhaps this is carrying over into your beer?
Bottled spring water

To answer another question, I dont know about fish scales or diesel taste??

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurph6 View Post
10 day primary, secondary cold crash for 2 weeks, transfer to keg where it's sitting on the gas. It'll be done carbing on Saturday so I'll take it out and let it sit for a week. Thanks!!
Diacetyl can present on some palates as only a slick mouthfeel, with no little to no buttery taste. My advice would be to leave it in the primary for longer, maybe 3 weeks, cold crash (crash is a fast moving thing, IMHO) for 2 days, then keg on gas.

Give your yeasties some time to finish cleaning up the off flavors they produced. And hey, with the above method, you're actually not losing any time in your process from "grain" to glass.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Quick Reply