New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slap packs activated during shipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
DrunkenJess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slap packs activated during shipping

Hey Guys...we just received some Wyeast Slap Packs and some time between the warehouse and them being shipped to us, 4 packs have been activated (they're clearly ballooned up, a lot). If I brew today or tomorrow are these still good to use at all? I'd imagine that the worst case scenario is the slap packs have been active for about 7 days...

Thanks,
Jess

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
digunderground
Recipes 

I have had the same thing happen a few times, so here is my 2 cents..
Firstly they wont explode, no matter how many times I have tried to make one blow up, it wont. Secondly, I have left a smack pack activated in the refrigerator for over 2 weks and still had the batch start, not that I recommend it..

I would contact the company and see if they will replace the popped packages and if not then store them in the fridge until you need them.

best of luck!

-DIG

Old 07-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The problem is you don't know how long they have been active, I would recommend making a starter if you are going to use them to brew. Simply boil up some DME and water and put the smack packs in a sanitized jar with the DME and let it begin to ferment, you should get a very good pitch from doing that as most of the yeast is probably very active right now.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Quick Reply