The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Skipping secondary for an IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Skipping secondary for an IPA

I brewed an IPA (OG 1.069) last Saturday and I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning, so I either have to rack it to the secondary tonight or leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks. I still see a bubble every 20 seconds or so, so I don't think it's completely done.

I'm leaning towards just leaving it in the primary, but if I do should I go ahead and dry hop now and skip the secondary all together? I haven't done a beer without secondary. When dry hopping in the primary should I stir the hops in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I dry hopped my recent IPA in the primary. Just dropped the pellets in, gave it a swirl and forgot about it until I was ready to keg. It's delicious

-Joe

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No real need for secondary in my opinion. It makes less of a mess in your primary to split up the dry hops and yeast cake and you may lose less beer in transfers, but other than that I'm not sure of the thinking behind having to use a secondary for dry hopping.

I've done it both ways now and the only difference has been that with the dry-hopped primary I got more yeast sediment in the bottles, but that might not have much to do with anything, as I didn't give it much of a chance to settle after moving it to the bottling area.

I would say that 2 weeks is on the longer end of dry hopping, and if you are putting more than 1-1.5oz in there you might get some grassy notes, some say.

Are you using pellets or whole hops? Either way, don't use a bag and you don't need to stir, they will find their own path to the beer. A swirl of the whole fermenter by picking it up and spinning wouldn't hurt, but they'll all get there.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Is it necessary to swirl when adding the pellet hops?

Wouldn't swirling stir up the yeast/trub from the bottom of the fermenter?

If so, would it take longer for the beer to clear?

I'm dry hopping in two weeks and I am still looking for the best method when dry hopping in the primary.

EDIT: 2bluewagons, answered while I was typing.

Do not stir, got it!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply