Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Skim foam off fermenting brew?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
GabrielKnight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44
Default Skim foam off fermenting brew?

I'm only on day 2 after pitching the yeast, but there is already a good deal of foam, with it hitting th lid but not oozing out yet.

Its a 12% BWine kit. My temps are 21*C and the kit says 18 - 25.

Should I skim most of the foam off? I only want to do this if its neccesary as its just more work to sanitise paddles etc and another potential way to introduce unwanteds. Presumedly the foam will go down after a few days but I'm worried it will oxidise then leave off flavours when it sinks back down into the brew. Its all over my hydrometer and probes as well.

Intrestingly this wasn't as bad when I made it with brewing sugar instead of spray malt last time. Hopefully this indicates I'll get a better head with the spray malt this time?

__________________

GabrielKnight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,311
Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

Between 18 and 21 is fine, but don't allow it to get any warmer. Is that the temperature of the room, or is that the temperature of the fermenter? I ask because an active fermentation like that can be much higher inside the fermenter.

Don't skim off the foam, just wait until it dies down in a few days. It sinks back into the beer, and then falls to the bottom and makes a compacted yeast cake on the bottom when it's done. Other things fall to the bottom too, hops debris, proteins in the beer, etc, to make the trub.

What do you mean by the foam is all over the hydrometer? Is the hydrometer inside the fermenter? Most people don't keep them inside the fermenter, since they would get covered with gunk and there is a risk of breaking. I'd get it out of there, and stick the airlock back on.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Figbash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 218
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

The foam is a normal part of brewing and needs no attention. If the type of yeast you are using creates a lot of foam (kraeusen) you'll need to rig a blow off tube to handle it.

Tom

__________________
Figbash is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
GabrielKnight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Between 18 and 21 is fine, but don't allow it to get any warmer. Is that the temperature of the room, or is that the temperature of the fermenter? I ask because an active fermentation like that can be much higher inside the fermenter.
The min/max thermometer is in with the brew and I adjust the heat mat temperature to get into the desired zone before pitching the yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Don't skim off the foam, just wait until it dies down in a few days. It sinks back into the beer, and then falls to the bottom and makes a compacted yeast cake on the bottom when it's done. Other things fall to the bottom too, hops debris, proteins in the beer, etc, to make the trub.
OK thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
What do you mean by the foam is all over the hydrometer? Is the hydrometer inside the fermenter? Most people don't keep them inside the fermenter, since they would get covered with gunk and there is a risk of breaking. I'd get it out of there, and stick the airlock back on.
I usually leave my hydrometer in so I don't have to keep sanitising it to check each time. Its got so much crud on it now, I'll definately fish it out.

I don't have an airlock. Its a huge SSteel pan with the lid not quite flush. Was told this is okay during primary.
__________________
GabrielKnight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
ifishsum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1,457
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielKnight View Post
I usually leave my hydrometer in so I don't have to keep sanitising it to check each time. Its got so much crud on it now, I'll definately fish it out.
Yes, any crud that collects on it will weigh it down and it won't read accurately that way.
__________________
"If you're gonna be an ape, be a hairy one" - Spyder

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
ifishsum is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob Q: foam during fermenting? Hellolady Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-17-2012 04:09 AM
To skim or not to skim? That is the question! Fuzzyfella Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-08-2009 04:24 PM
Fermenting foam for different beers. alamedabrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-05-2008 08:47 PM
to skim or not to skim BOBTHEukBREWER Recipes/Ingredients 15 06-29-2008 02:20 PM
white skim on top of batch neagleone General Techniques 3 02-08-2008 02:07 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS