Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is this site legit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
tempted-fate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this site legit?

My grandfather was a moonshiner and has inspired me to attempt to make my own moonshine. I must know if this site have it's information right.http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/
I would buy a brewing kit but I want to try making it in the fashion of my grandfather. Please help me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Last time I checked, moonshine is illegal to make. Homebrewed beer is not. That is why we make homebrew and talk about it here.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Not only is moonshining illegal, but you have to know what you are doing as a distiller in order to not produce something disgusting at best, and toxic (think brain damage/blindness) at worst. If you want firewater, go buy some Everclear, or Ouzo or something. If you want decent whiskey, buy that. But the chances of your distilling anything but total rotgut are slim.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 09-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The only thing distillation and brewing have in common is fermentation and the end result. What they've shown you on that site is termed a pot still. You have to re-distill several times to get something decent from the process. Otherwise, why not just strain hairspray through a loaf of sandwich bread and drink that. Keeping in mind that home- distilling is illegal in the USA, and that I'm sure your curiosity is purely academic, check out moonshine.still.com. They explain distillation in-depth and discuss different types of stills. I found it very interesting, from a purely academic point of view. With brewing being legal, and my beer being enough for me, why would I want to go to jail over rotgut liquor?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
The only thing distillation and brewing have in common is fermentation and the end result. What they've shown you on that site is termed a pot still. You have to re-distill several times to get something decent from the process. Otherwise, why not just strain hairspray through a loaf of sandwich bread and drink that. Keeping in mind that home- distilling is illegal in the USA, and that I'm sure your curiosity is purely academic, check out moonshine.still.com. They explain distillation in-depth and discuss different types of stills. I found it very interesting, from a purely academic point of view. With brewing being legal, and my beer being enough for me, why would I want to go to jail over rotgut liquor?
Actually, home-distilling isn't illegal in the US; however, operating a still without proper licensing IS illegal. I don't know what the procedures are to license a still with BATF, but I'd bet it's not real easy.

You can also use said licensed still to brew all the ethanol you want - but the illegality is making it with the intention of having somebody drink it. You can, however, make all the distillate you want for the purposes of using it for fuel.

Why? Because Uncle Sam wants his share of the alcohol sales, and people creating distillations of whiskey aren't giving the government it's cut, plain and simple.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Hey Sudsmonkey, I thought I was the only one who filtered hairspray through bread! Glad to hear it's catching on.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Quick Reply