Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Siphoning trub for clearing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
JKaranka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Siphoning trub for clearing?

I was just wondering... last time I casked it was quite easy towards the end to siphon some trub by accident. Would it be possible to siphon some of the trub away from the primary, either regularly or a few days before bottling / casking in order to clear out the beer and make bottling easier? Just stick the siphon all the way to the bottom and suck the muck out. Would be a bit like racking, but instead of moving the beer to a secondary you're moving the trub to the bin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 116

This has occurred to me also, though I have never tried it.
So I am interested in other folks thoughts on this.
I usually don't worry about it too much but if for some reason I do I will rack to a secondary before bottling, it makes it a lot easier to move the finished beer while avoiding the transfer of trub.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

If you let your beer have time in the fermenter that layer of yeast will compact pretty well and won't be much of a problem when you rack to the bottling bucket. If you do rack some yeast it should settle out in the bottling bucket pretty fast so it won't end up in the bottles.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I didn't have a bottling bucket but I guess I can just use my two gallon cask as one.

Quick Reply