New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Siphoning cloudy beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
wjtaylor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Siphoning cloudy beer

So I brewed up my first all-grain batch. It was also my first double-fermentation batch.

When I went to siphon the wart from the fermentor to the keg for secondary fermentation. It was still cloudy and still bubbling. I did get some yeast into the keg. Is this really bad?

Any tips for siphoning when the beer is still cloudy? It seems like the bottom gallon was all yeast... From what I've read it's normal for the beer to be cloudy when transferring...

Thanks,
WT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How long has it been fermenting? Why are you transferring to a keg to secondary?

I would have just left it in the primary until it was totally done, then transferred it to the Keg. All the yeast and stuff will settle out once it gets chilled, the first few pints you pull will be all trub.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I secondary in my kegs all the time....but it does sound like it was ready for that....a couple things you can do with clarity...is if you have a room in a fridge or a fermentation chamber is cold crash it....the yeast will drop to the bottom and clear...also I've recently became a big user of whirfloc tablets....basically put a tablet in your boil the last 10-15....while in the fermenter all the proteins and solids will colegele and eventually drop to the bottom making very nice clear beer....

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 489 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtaylor View Post
So I brewed up my first all-grain batch. It was also my first double-fermentation batch.

When I went to siphon the wart from the fermentor to the keg for secondary fermentation. It was still cloudy and still bubbling. I did get some yeast into the keg. Is this really bad?

Any tips for siphoning when the beer is still cloudy? It seems like the bottom gallon was all yeast... From what I've read it's normal for the beer to be cloudy when transferring...

Thanks,
WT
There is really no reason to do a secondary unless adding something, but that is another story.

If it was still bubbling was fermentation finished? What was the final gravity?
You should wait until final gravity is reached before transferring. That usually means 5-10 days then take a gravity reading, wait 2 more days and take
another. If the numbers are the same - transfer.

Cloudy is not a problem in itself. It will clear in time.

There will be more trub in the bottom of the primary with all grain compared to extract. You want to minimize the transfer of this to the secondary. Waiting longer before transferring will help here also. It will give it longer to compact on the bottom.

So it sounds to me like you transferred to secondary too early.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

It def sounds like it was still fermenting. always wait till FG is reached & the beer is settled out clear or slightly misty before any racking.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
wjtaylor
Recipes 

We'll see how it turns out.

OG wasn't taken because I forgot. But the rest of the splarge was 1.060 @ 70 degrees and the gravity of the beer when it was transferred to secondary was 1.026. I'm looking for a target ABV of 5% with it being tapped Oct 22. I'll probably tap a few days before to see if it's even worth serving.

Quick Reply