Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Siphon or tap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Jedsterr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Siphon or tap?

I have just finished sorting out my fourth batch and I'm having a bast! (but I think fermenting beer all over the house is getting to my other half's nerves) One thing that has been a thorn in my side throughout the whole process has been siphoning (this could gave something to do with the fact that I am still using the suck it yourself syphon from my first kit) I am due to extend my fermenting capacity and am looking at fermentation bins with taps! Now I have heard lots about siphoning from siphon types to techniques, but very little where people use a tap to bottle or transfer there brew?

So tell me, what's your feelings on siphon vs tap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I siphon. Taps might leak.

spence

Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Mknox4354
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Look at Williams brewing fermenting buckets they have a valve on them that helps keep yeast and hops from being sucked in.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2193 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

Both of my fermenters have taps that are just far enough above the bottom to leave the trub behind. I connect the right size tubing to the tap,then into the bottom of a bottling bucket I made with an airlock grommet. It has an Italian tap with a small stepped spout of red plastic in this thick lugged body that needs a 1" hole to connect.
I used the Dremel to cut out the marked hole that just touches the black line under the logo & text (the one with the beer,wine,grapes pic on front). The tap came with 2 seals & the jam nut. So I can siphon to about 1/2" or so from the bottom,& tip a little to get all but the last 1/8" with a little gritty stuff left.
So,I just take the 5/16" tube for my auto siphon & connect it to the step on the tap,& bottling wand on the other end.
It can hold some 7G clear full,so I can easily use it for either the 5G FV,or my cooper's FV,which can do up to 25L (6.6G). I just bottled my wife's ale yesterday,& it's just slightly hazy. So it works pretty good,& no leaks or siphoning woes.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Auto siphon. That's it.

lautosiph.jpg  

Quick Reply