Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Siphon Starter Help...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
delboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forgot to say that you might have trouble blowing through it because of the small filter size it would take considerable force. If you can lay your hands on a plastic syringe (the bigger the better) it will fit on the end perfectly. you could then depress the plunger rapidly and all the air should be forced through it. Im not sure what size of syringe you would need to start the syphon but as i said the bigger the better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I don't have a hepa filter and do this all the time. Your expired air probably does have some contaminates in it- but so does room air. I mean, you're siphoning it into your bottling bucket which is open to the same air that you are breathing in and out. You don't want to splash the beer around when you do it- but that's not because of bacteria-laden air, that's so you don't oxidize your beer. Your mouth never touches anything that touches the beer, so it's pretty safe. Unless you have bronchitis or pneumonia, don't worry!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I don't have a hepa filter and do this all the time. Your expired air probably does have some contaminates in it- but so does room air. I mean, you're siphoning it into your bottling bucket which is open to the same air that you are breathing in and out. You don't want to splash the beer around when you do it- but that's not because of bacteria-laden air, that's so you don't oxidize your beer. Your mouth never touches anything that touches the beer, so it's pretty safe. Unless you have bronchitis or pneumonia, don't worry!
Im a great believer in emperical science, i guess the risk of contamination by this means isn't as great as some would have us believe, so not a problem then

Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Takes a lot of PSI to get that going...your trying to push 5 gallons of liquid up, which in itself is more than 35 pounds...better off sanitizing a short piece of racking cane and putting it at the end of the drain line...suck on the end (insert joke here) and pull the cane piece away before the liquid reaches it...your lips are only on the cane piece and not on the drain piece = sanitized...been working for me for 10+ years. No need for autosiphon, CO2, etc., etc., etc.

Easy = easy!

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks again all!
I was pretty worried about contamination by pulling the filter off. I hope it works out in the end!
The description on the B3 website makes it seem so easy...
Oh well!

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone
Takes a lot of PSI to get that going...your trying to push 5 gallons of liquid up, which in itself is more than 35 pounds...better off sanitizing a short piece of racking cane and putting it at the end of the drain line...suck on the end (insert joke here) and pull the cane piece away before the liquid reaches it...your lips are only on the cane piece and not on the drain piece = sanitized...been working for me for 10+ years. No need for autosiphon, CO2, etc., etc., etc.

Easy = easy!

Good luck.

That sounds like a good idea to me!
Maybe I'll give that a shot with my next batch!

Thanks!

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

Quick Reply