New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Single Stage Lagering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Winesburg Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Single Stage Lagering

Has anyone tried making a lager with a single fermentation vessel? Would the beer have to sit too long on the trub? If I were to do it, do you think a 6 gallon carboy would be the optimal vessel for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3882 Times on 2835 Posts
Likes Given: 654

My opinion is that it would be too long on the trub. If you can only do single stage, you can "lager" in the bottle. That's just my opinion, though.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't know the science, but in my experience it seems, lager yeast is more likely to experience autolysis, or the strong yeast cells eating the dead or weak yeast cells. I think it might have something to do with the yeast being bottom fermenting, so the acive cells sit next to the dead ones, where as ale yeast is top fermenting and settles out when done.

I have problems brewing lagers in that I am on a only brew on the weekends schedule, and if my beer doesn't comply with that schedule, it can spend 2 weeks or more in primary. You have to work your schedule around the lager, rather than working the lager around your schedule, they are less forgiving than ales.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

I've left lagers in the primary for 3-4 wks, then gone directly to bottles. IIRC, the propensity for autolysis is dependant on temperature (among other things). So, as long as the temp remains stable and below 40*F, a month on the primary yeast shouldn't be too risky.

flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Quick Reply