Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Single Stage Dry Hopping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
likes2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Single Stage Dry Hopping?

I only have equipment for single stage fermentation, and want to brew a recipe that calls for dry hopping. Any suggestions or should I just forget the dry hop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have opened a primary after 7 days and then thrown the hops in for dry hopping. I have also just thrown them in on the day i put in primary. Its all about the taste your going for. Alot of us dont even use a secondary if we are keeping the beer"in house". Its your call but i think dry hopping at day seven in primary will have the same effect, and the desired effect you are looking for. Maybe one of the more experienced guys know why this isnt posssible.

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle dixie?

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can dry hop in the primary, it's no problem.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Diablo
Recipes 

I dry-hopped my last batch (APA) for 8 days in primary. The next time I will use a hop bag because the racking cane got clogged with hop debris when transferring to bottling bucket.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

get a couple stainless steel herb balls, Wal-Mart sells them cheap and put your hops in them. No mess.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I don't think you can dry hop in the primary in GA, TN, or MS.

Kidding...

Dry hopping in the primary is fine. Just make sure that the hops make good contact with the beer and that fermentation is pretty much complete, with in 0.005 of expected FG.

Watch it with the herb balls. I haven't used them but they may be heavy enough to sink your hops into the yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter. If you can rig for them to be suspended off the bottom you should be in good shape. Lots of brewers use hop bags (muslin or nylon or panty hose) weighted down with marbles or stainless steel washers. Just make sure to sanitize anything going into your beer. No, you do not need to sanitize hops.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm looking at doing an IPA for my third batch soon, and am planning on dry hopping. What is the difference between using the herb balls, and weighting down a hop bag? Won't they both sink into the trub?

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If I were to dry hop in the primary, I would wait at least two weeks before adding the dry hops, probably closer to three. You want the krausen to have fallen, and have no significant fermentation happening at the point. If there's still some bubbling going on, that aroma you're trying to add from the dry hops will just be scrubbed out and expelled from the airlock. I have put them in at day 7 before and by the time the bottles were ready, I could no longer smell or taste any of the dry hops. Even if fermentation is mostly done, there's often still significant activity going on during the second week.

I don't generally bag them or weigh them down (whole hops). By the end of the first day or so they are usually floating just under the surface and I've always felt like I was getting what I needed from them that way. If I was using an ounce or more though, I can see trying to sink them somehow because the ones on top would not otherwise get pushed down into the beer.

Herb ball or weighted bag wouldn't matter much, they're both aimed to accomplish the same thing. Just don't put too many in one ball/bag. I haven't used the herb ball myself, but I'd think that 3/4 ounce in a muslin hop bag is about the max for getting good circulation around the hops. If they're stuffed too full the flavor won't get out as it should IMO, so use multiple bags if adding a bunch of dry hops.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Last edited by ifishsum; 06-16-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Oh man this is refreshing.

Two years ago you would have never had people telling you you can dryhop in primary. Freaked people right out.

I'm a big proponent of using pellets for dry hopping. They sink right to the bottom after a few days.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I actually just brewed my first APA yesterday, and I was going to ask the same about dry hopping in the primary, I do have a secondary vessel, but I'd rather not rack to it because it is alot more work for minor results.

When using muslin bags with pellets, is it necessary to weigh them down, or will they just naturally fall after they soak up some wort?

And is it better to keep them suspended in the wort or should they be on the top or the bottom?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply