Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Single stage or Blow-by ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Single stage or Blow-by ?

I am about to brew a Raspberry Wheat Ale, and the recipe suggests using a "single stage or Blow-by method".

I am assuming that single stage is not racking to a secondary, but what is "Blow-by" ? Are they the same ? Am I correct about single stage ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Blow-by is when the explosion in one of the cylinders of your engine gets past the rings, instead of staying contained in the cylinder.

Maybe the recipe meant to say blow-off, which is a good idea if you are using a Carboy for primary fermentation. A blow-off tube replaces the airlock, and you put the other end in a pot or bowl filled with clean water.

Wheat beers should not be racked to a clearing vessel, since they are supposed to be cloudy.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 06-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I think the intended wording is, "single stage fermentation with a blow off tube."

Wheat beers tend to be very active during initial fermentation, sometimes causing the krausen to clog an airlock. A blow off tube like Reno suggests is the solution.

Single stage fermentation means exactly what you think it does.

Quick Reply