I planned on a big homebrew related weekend. I built an immersion chiller. Just got done with a 15 gallon Rubbermaid cooler into mash tun conversion. And attempted to cut the top off a keg so I could have my very own keggle. The Keggle failed. I underestimated the difficulty to make a curved cut in stainless steel using a sawzall. Yeah. So I'm using a 8 gallon pot (watch out spill over).
Whatever. I can make do. So I get myself two recipes to brew. An Oatmeal Stout and a Nut Brown Ale. Go to the local brew store and get the ingredients. Well, both my recipes were on one sheet of paper and each were using different yeast. One a liquid and one dry. So when the guy finished milling the grains he wrote which bag used which yeast. Great, it'll help me remember... NOT! I lose the sheet of paper I wrote the recipes on and I didn't copy them from any website. So I had no clue which bag of grains were for which recipe.
Yesterday I started what I thought to be the Nut Brown. Hmm, this looks a little dark for a brown ale." I say to myself. But I ignored it. Finished that up no problem and used the yeast that the bag said it needed.
Today I started what I thought was the Oatmeal. Hmm, this looks a little brown and smells a little nuttier than I would imagine. I put two and two together and realize the mistake.
So the Oatmeal Stout was brewed on Saturday (without the flaked oats; as it was bagged separately) and the Nut Brown is being brewed as we speak (with the flaked oats). I ended up putting Kent Goldings in the Stout and Glacier in the Nut Brown, both at 60 and nothing else.
Overall I don't think the mistake was all that great except my Nut Brown will have a oatmeal taste (and a great head) while the Oatmeal Stout is just a Stout (which ended up a little heavy with 1.049 OG).