Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Simple fast kit tricks, great results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Zigakly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Simple fast kit tricks, great results

Heya folks, new to the forum, just wanted to pass on my technique to those that share my priorities - good beer, fast turnover, consistent results, minimal gear and fuss. I know several people with relatively advanced gear and processes, and they have nothing but compliments for my beer considering it's done with a kit, especially when I tell them I only started it two weeks ago. I'm sure the puritans will cut gaping holes in my process, but I do know what I'm after, and this gets it done.

So here's the skinny - do the normal kit routine with the following mods:
- use good water, anything well filtered, whatever's cheap and isn't a pain to get, get only 1 gallon going on the stove
- while the water's heating up, use a well sterilized large-ish bowl, put a teaspoon of dextrose in, then pour two cups of water at the right temp off the tap, not quite hot enough to hurt your hand, and sprinkle the yeast on the surface so it sits on top, leave it until later
- bring the stove water to a boil, then drop the heat level to 2/3, and just dissolve the kit contents and any malts or liquid sugars, stirring as you pour
- pour the hot wort into the fermenter nice and easy avoiding splashing, add any dry sugars in your recipe
- add the rest of the water to the appropriate level, end temp should be just right to kick the yeast into high gear fast (that's why only 1 gal in the boil)
- the yeast preparation should now be a frothing murk, give it a stir, then dump it into the fermenter, stir it up
- pop on the water trap, should be bubbling like mad within 18 hours, my record is 8
- once the trap drops to less than a gurgle per 10 seconds prepare the finishing hops (if your recipe doesn't have them, try 1oz of cascade)
- take the same size bowl as the yeast prep, pour in 2 cups of hot water from the tap, drop in the finishing hops, wait 5-10 mins until it becomes a paste, drop it into the fermenter, do not stir
- bottle the next day

The key tricks are the yeast prep which saves at least a day, the 1 gallon boil which saves fuss, and the finishing hops trick which gives the taste of aged dry hops within a few days. My recipe is a Cooper's IPA kit, a kilo of dark malt, 1/4 cup dextrose, and an ounce of cascade finishing hops. Because it's a dark-ish beer it masks the yeast residuals and young carbonation, so it drinks well two days after bottling, ten days after starting it. Another four days and it's pretty much prime.

Yes I know there's tons of ways to improve quality, but I challenge anyone to produce a better tasting beer in two weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
OBX
Recipes 

I will be curious to see what people with more experience than I have to say since I am doing my second brew since I started 1 month ago.

I have not had to spend any more than an hour on the yeast. My 1st brew used powdered yeast that you just poured in the fermenter before you closed the lid. The second was a Wyeast pitchable pack that you bring to room temp and rupture an internal pack that starts it growing. After 1 hr it was pitched in the wort.

Both my brews are dark or black beer so seeping grains were used. The key is that you enjoy it. My stuff is still conditioning so I am waiting to enjoy them.

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Old 04-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Ramp
Recipes 

Our homebrew is a 4 week process, though we pretty much make nothing but ales which do not require much aging time. I will admit that the couple of bottles which last a month or two after bottling do taste very good indeed, however we are an impatient bunch and have a hard enough time waiting the 4 weeks we give it, let alone a couple months after they are bottled!

We bottle straight out of the primary, after two weeks, then let the bottled beer sit for 2 weeks prior to tasting. Apart from one batch which had a tendancy to foam out of control upon opening, we have never had a "bad" batch.

We have been tossing the thought of a good Imperial or a Double IPA around for a bit though, which means that we will probably have to touch up on what we are supposed to be doing, as opposed to what we have been doing!

Cheers!

Old 04-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I for one always recommend SLOWING down. Fermentation is a natural process that really cannot be hurried.

As always, you are free to do whatever you wish. These are just my comments.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I for one always recommend SLOWING down. Fermentation is a natural process that really cannot be hurried.

As always, you are free to do whatever you wish. These are just my comments.

Yep, good advice. I wasn't too keen on the "challenge" as its not about that for me. I'm in no race for good beer. I could easily have beer brewed, fermented and carbed in 7 days, and I'd bet it would taste pretty good, but why bother?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
Zigakly
Recipes 

Assuming the results grossly out-class commercial crap and you don't care to turn your apartment into a brewery, why wait?

I appreciate that the bulk of the membership of this forum are very enthusiastic about understanding every aspect of the brewing process, but I aim for the highest product quality with the least effort. I know a better brew can be done with the same ingredients, but it takes 3x as much work, and when the first batch is done, I'm on my third. I've tasted the difference, and I'd just rather save carboys, bottles, space, and time. Good beer is cheap here, I can't compete with Maudite no matter how much I spend or how long I take.

Most of all, I just wanted to post my tricks somewhere. www.speedbrew.com doesn't exist

Old 04-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
OBX
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigakly
Most of all, I just wanted to post my tricks somewhere. www.speedbrew.com doesn't exist

Your link does not work and Internic says no one owns that name. Are you in process of starting the site?

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Old 05-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX
Your link does not work and Internic says no one owns that name. Are you in process of starting the site?
Re-read his post.....he was making a joke.

As for the topic, do whatever works for you! If you enjoy brewing and your final product, knock your self out and have fun with it!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
Buddhabuddha
Recipes 

I tend to spend ALOT of time on the recipes i make for me.... (and I fly through the ones for others) The American Lite, and Cider I made recently for the "ladies" for example.. I flew through those..
As for my others.. A little TLC goes a long way!

Primary= Dos Equis Style Lager
Primary= Chilean Merlot
Secondary= APE cider...(apple grape)
Bottles=A late "Oktoberfest"
Bottles= American Lite (gotta keep the wife happy)
Bottles= Hard Cider! (um yeah, got hammered while bottling these)
Bottles= couple of these, couple of those...

"Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say?."

Old 05-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
Swervo Maneuver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, zig-- good tricks.

I personally am getting frustrated waiting around for weeks for homemade beer.
Maybe I should just drink less...

3. coat in Toxic Radioactive Armor
You're all set!

Quick Reply