Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Simple BIAB Calculator Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default Simple BIAB Calculator Question

I plan on helping my cousin with his first all grain batch next weekend. We use my kettle and chiller, so this is my "4th" technically speaking. My first two felt like disasters, but my last one (a German Alt), felt like I got everything right.

He's wanting to brew NB's Houblemonstre IIPA (simple, right? ), so I want to make sure my math, or the BIAB calc's math, is right. The beer calls for 12 lbs of grain, 6oz of hops and 2 lbs of corn sugar make up the additions.

When I punched in the numbers, it's giving me 7.89 gallons of pre-boil wort and ending with 5.5 transfered. That can't be right, or is it? Am I going to lose 1.39 gallons when I transfer to his carboy??

Here's the calculator link:

http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/

and NB's Houblemonstre is here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...eTripelIPA.pdf

Thanks for any help and advice.

"There is no right way to brew. The journey to finding out what works best for you is 99% of the hobby. Ethanol is the other 1%" - Bobby M

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
dneubeck85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is boil off....and the grain will absorb water also. For a one gallon batch, I normally use 2.3 gallons roughly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply