Simcoe/Amarillo IPA Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
1oz Simcoe @ 60min - 37 IBUs
1oz Amarillo @ 20 min - 14.6 IBUs
.5oz Simcoe@ 20 min - 11.2 IBUs
.5oz Amarillo @ 5 min - 2.4 IBUs
.5oz Simcoe Dry Hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop

Any suggestions? Should I bump up all the .5oz additions to 1oz?

Your question can't be answered without the rest of you'd recipe. Looks fine for a pale ale, weak for a double IPA....

I'm not trying to make a double. My grain bill is only going to consist of about 13 lbs. of US 2-row and 1-2 lbs. of C-20. Does anyone have any advise?

I would suggest not "wasting" an ounce of simcoe on bittering. Use a neutral hop like warrior or magnum for bittering. Use Simcoe for late additions/dry hop where they shine.

I normally do warrior or magnum at 60, a couple ounces of specialty hops at 15 and a couple at flameout.

I suggest bumping up the dry hop. One oz doesn't do it for me. I average about 3oz for 5 gallons.

Ok, so if I use an oz. of magnum or warrior for bittering should I keep the rest the same or add more Simcoe to the later additions?

Assuming 5 gallon batch and about 1.055 OG. I would do something like

Warrior at 60
1 oz each simcoe/Amarillo at 15
1 oz each at 0.
3 oz in dry hop

If you are using software, enter the late additions first, and adjust the amount of warrior to the IBU you want.

I made a Pale Ale a few weeks ago....but switched out the simcoe for citra. OG was 1.059, here is the hop schedule I used.

• 1.0 oz Warrior 60 min
• 1.0 oz Warrior 30 min
• 0.5 oz Citra 10 min
• 0.5 oz Amarillo10 min
• 0.5 oz Citra 0 min
• 0.5 oz Amarillo 0 min
• 1.0 oz Citra Dry hop
• 1.0 oz Amarillo Dry hop

Smells and tastes amazing.

HokieHomeBrewer said:
I made a Pale Ale a few weeks ago....but switched out the simcoe for citra. OG was 1.059, here is the hop schedule I used.

• 1.0 oz Warrior 60 min
• 1.0 oz Warrior 30 min
• 0.5 oz Citra 10 min
• 0.5 oz Amarillo10 min
• 0.5 oz Citra 0 min
• 0.5 oz Amarillo 0 min
• 1.0 oz Citra Dry hop
• 1.0 oz Amarillo Dry hop

Smells and tastes amazing.

This is pretty close to what I brew regularly. But isn't that a lot of Warrior for a pale ale? Usually for an IPA I am still under an oz at 60 min.
I like to get about 30 IBU from the bittering addition, and make up the rest with late additions.
Citra+Amarillo is something special.

This is pretty close to what I brew regularly. But isn't that a lot of Warrior for a pale ale? Usually for an IPA I am still under an oz at 60 min.
I like to get about 30 IBU from the bittering addition, and make up the rest with late additions.
Citra+Amarillo is something special.

Haha yes it is. It was listed as an American Pale Ale but it really is a lot closer to an IPA. I prefer higher IBU's.

HokieHomeBrewer said:
Haha yes it is. It was listed as an American Pale Ale but it really is a lot closer to an IPA. I prefer higher IBU's.

I prefer to get my high IBU with flavor/aroma hops in late additions. My 6 gallon batch has 6 ounces in the kettle, only 1 is warrior. All the rest are 20min to flameout.

Back