Silly question but I've got to ask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
When I rack my primary to a secondary what is the best way to pop the top off of the primary bucket without allowing water from the airlock to flow back into the wort?

Do I take the airlock out before popping the top?

Thanks

When I rack my primary to a secondary what is the best way to pop the top off of the primary bucket without allowing water from the airlock to flow back into the wort?

Do I take the airlock out before popping the top?

Thanks

I always take out my airlock before opening.

Yes, take the airlock off first. If your bucket's lid is hard to get off, you can get a bucket lid removal tool (I kid you not) at a hardware store (I think they're made for paint buckets).

yeah you can take the airlock out. Or from now on use cheap vodka to fill your airlocks and if some gets sucked in it's no big deal. This will happen anyway do to pressure changes when temperature shifts.

I always press on the side of the bung to let some air in/out and the entire bung/airlock comes off easily after that with no liquid getting into the brew.

I'm always chewing gum so I take the gum out of my mouth, place it on the "cap" piece of the airlock. Once that is off there won't be a vaccum, then I just pull out the airlock.

I find that if you're very careful and twist the airlock while pulling up gently, you can then remove it without getting anything into the beer.

Just remove the "hood" portion of the airlock, the portion that covers the main tube, thus, no suction is created.

I just pull one side of the bucket lit up and I never get vacuum.

Back