Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Silky tasting beer...help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Ryho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Silky tasting beer...help.

Hey guys just kegged an american brown ale that I dry hopped for 15 days and made the mistake of adding the hops to my first fermenter instead of transferring to my second. I just pressurized my keg and force carbonated my beer and its tasting really off. The beer really has no smell to it either which is weird, it smelt better when I put the hops after fermentation....

If im not making sense this is my first attempt at dry hopping and first at kegging. Im just wondering if after a week the carbonation from the co2 will improve it since im used to using the priming sugar and enjoying it that way..

Should i trash this batch?

Please Help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
TCGoose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 14

First, don't trash it

Second, a 15 day dry hop is VERY long. I would max it out at 7 days (there are exceptions if course) because the hops will start to give off a grassy/vegetal flavor if they're in there too long.

If its the hops that are giving the off flavor then aging the keg a bit will reduce the hop flavor and aroma. I'm sure carving will help some as well

Also, not sure what you mean by silky tasting. That's usually a texture

Ryho Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Ryho
Recipes 

Ya i really didnt want to dry hop that long but things kept coming up. A better way to probably describe the taste would be soapy? It has a weird finish that you need to swallow again to clean your pallet. Im almost wondering maybe when transfering to my bottling bucket I may of sucked up more of the sediment...

Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
TCGoose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 14

What's the recipe? Carbing will definitely lighten the body, so definitely do that before even considering dumping.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Ryho
Recipes 

its an american brown extract kit. So specialty grains, Bries, hops haha pretty broad but i did choose cascade hops to dry hop with.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Soapy could come from the extended dry hop. Everyone tastes things a little different, and I seem to be sensitive to the "soapy" flavor a lot even when my buddies dont. If you force carbed, the beer itself might be a little green anyway. Set the PSI to serving pressure and forget about it for 2-3 weeks. Then report back what you are tasting

Old 05-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryho View Post
Hey guys just kegged an american brown ale that I dry hopped for 15 days and made the mistake of adding the hops to my first fermenter instead of transferring to my second.
first off, that isn't a mistake. the "need" to move beer to a secondary for dry-hopping is old-school... lots of people still do it, but many others (including myself) dry-hop in primary. 95% of my beers are primary-only. there are some advantages to racking to secondary, but to my mind there are more disadvantages (risk of infection, oxidation, etc). so the fact that you dry-hopped in primary is just fine.

carbonation should help with aroma.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Do you toss whole leaf hops straight into the primary, if you're using whole leaf? I was going to add my dry hops today but realized I'm out of the hop sacks.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 748 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmex41 View Post
Do you toss whole leaf hops straight into the primary, if you're using whole leaf? I was going to add my dry hops today but realized I'm out of the hop sacks.
I did. The was still a lot of them floating on top when I went to rack to the bottling bucket but I had expected that and was prepared with a paint strainer bag that I sanitized and fastened to the bottom of my autosiphon with a rubber band before shoving it down through the hops.

Quick Reply