Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Signs of carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Conan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Signs of carbonation

Hi all. Have my first batch in bottles, a dark ale. They've been in for only 4 days but I'm wondering if I should be seeing any signs of carbonation like in primary. There's just no apparent action at the moment. We're using the priming sugar that came in the recipe kit we bought with Munton's yeast. It was an extract brew. Also, the temps of the cases the bottles are in were around 70 F until yesterday when it got colder- about 55. I realize this is too low and am trying to warm them but there's not alot I can do. So should I be seeing any signs of active yeast in my bottles? Going to wait till 2 weeks is up (the 10th of May) to open- just a concerned parent. Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

There is no "sign of carbonation"...It's not like they do a dance or something

Just quit staring at the bottles, and leave them alone for 3 weeks @ 70 degrees...Brew another batch to take your mind off.

Why 3 weeks?

Look at this post and watch the video...then you'll understand.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Now STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLES...STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLES!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can also look for the tell tale yeast that will appear at the bottom of the bottle. If you see sediment (that wasn't there before), then you've got carbonation. Patience is the key. The beer will be better if you wait an extra week.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Conan
Recipes 

Will do folks, thanks. Just that last time the yeast were fed there was bubbles, expected the same- although since it is a closed system this time the bubbles stay in the beer, rite? Anyway, I gotta wait till the 10th to brew again, but have no fear...another batch of ingredients is being sent as we speak. Kyle

Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

When I first started brewing, I was eagerly awaiting carbonation! One of the things I learned to do is to use a couple of plastic soda bottles to bottle along with the regular glass bottles. When the plastic gets hard, you know the beer is carbonated. It is kind of a telltale way to see if your beer is carbonating. After a dozen batches, the novelty of that wore off, but I liked it at the time. You may want to try that sometime.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I bought a six pack of Miller in plastic PET bottles for just that purpose. The beer was terrible but all I wanted were the bottles and they are everywhere. They are brown too, so they won't skunk as easily as soda bottles.

Neal

Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
DJCalico
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
You can also look for the tell tale yeast that will appear at the bottom of the bottle. If you see sediment (that wasn't there before), then you've got carbonation. Patience is the key. The beer will be better if you wait an extra week.
Very curious... whats the association between the level of carbonation and the settling? Won't the remaining yeasts settle in a flat beer as well?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Conan
Recipes 

I'll try the pop bottle trick on my next batch- thanks for the idea!

On a slitely different side note, if when using a beer calculator I'm told that my ingredient selection for the next batch will be way below std. accepted ABV, can I just put in a little sugar when I go to primary? I had the calc. set at DME but then changed it to LME, which I'm using. All else equal, including the weight of extract, the ABV dropped way down. Kyle

Quick Reply