The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Side Affects

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
Matt_D
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Side Affects

So, today I brewed my first batch of Oldcastle Brown Ale. I have made a mistake though. First one was that I used 1 oz. instead of 1/2 oz of the Kents Golding hops.

The other mistake was that I did not strain the wort when I added it to the fermentation bucket.

I assume that everything will be good, but I would like to know what the side affects are going to be?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Side affects???? You're making beer not prescribing medication....Nothing Bad will happen...

You beer will be hoppier than the recipe calls for...if you like hoppy beers you're going to like it.... it may be a matter of preference.

as to not straining the wort...that's a matter of choice, some people strain, some people dump in the bucket..it just means that you'll have a larger trub at the bottom of the bucket but it won't affect the beer in any way, especially if you leave it for a couple weeks in primary or rack it to secondary (again a matter of preference)....

You'll be fine either way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
bottleopener
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar_brewer View Post
I would like to know what the side affects are going to be?
I experienced anxiousness, repeated pacing, and a general frustration at the slow rate of time.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Not straining the wort isn't going to be a problem - RDWHAHB. The effect of the hop overdose will probably be fine too - if the hops were added early then the beer will be more bitter, and if they were added late it'll be more aromatic. But whilst it may not be specifically the same as it was intended to be, I bet it'll still be good beer

Quick Reply