Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sick from homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Higa20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sick from homebrew?

Ever had a case of anyone getting sick or having a reaction from a bad batch of homebrew?

A friend of a friend said he had a reaction to a batch of homebrew that tasted and looked fine. He and his other friend had little bumps on their stomachs and arms. Any experiences like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only "reactions" that I'm familiar with are gas and diarrhea.

Although, it's funny you bring this up. While I was brewing today, I was thinking about the random bits of tree and grass that probably end up in the brew while it's outside.

Then I wondered if I could have a problem brewing outside during the spring, when the tree pollen (which I'm allergic to) is at its peak. I wonder if it could survive the entire brewing, fermenting, and carbing process to still cause an allergic reaction if I drank it. If it could, that might be what caused a problem for your friends.

Of course, this is all pure speculation. It's also possible they're allergic to gluten, although I believe that's pretty rare. I guess they've never had that happen with commercial beers. Or maybe they drank too much and passed out in a giant ant hill.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I seriously doubt if the homebrew had anything to do with their affliction. The hops and alcohol in the finished beer both have antiseptic properties that make for a very inhospitable environment for a majority of bacteria and the ones that can survive in beer will, at worst, only result in a spoiled batch and aren't really harmful when consumed. If the batch had such an infection, it would be very noticeable in both smell and appearance of the brew so I doubt it had anything to do with their rash. The prolonged boil of the wort kills off any organisms and effectively results in a sanitary (if not sterile) product entering the fermenter. Assuming proper sanitization techniques, the sanitary nature of the product should be maintained throughout fermentation and bottling so the risk of a harmful infection is really quite small. The occurrence of the rash while drinking homebrew was coincidental.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higa20 View Post
Ever had a case of anyone getting sick or having a reaction from a bad batch of homebrew?

A friend of a friend said he had a reaction to a batch of homebrew that tasted and looked fine. He and his other friend had little bumps on their stomachs and arms. Any experiences like this?

Yes, my friend had a really nasty allergic reaction, almost ended in hospital. Seriously.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Yes, my friend had a really nasty allergic reaction, almost ended in hospital. Seriously.
Does your friend have Celiac disease? Did anyone else get sick? If the answer to both of these is no, then it wasn't the beer.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was making a wheat beer with extract once, and when I poured the Wheat DME into the pot I accidentally breathed some of the dust from the bag. My face and mouth broke out with hives and I had to get some benadryl, for a while there I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. I was able to drink the beer when it was finished without any problems though.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It does have live yeast in it. Some people don't do well with yeast, I wonder if it being live has a more serious effect to them?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Man, sorry about the unpleasant experience sharing your beer. I know a couple of folks who can't drink beer, either due to the gluten, alcohol, or yeast. My guess is that it was the latter if your friends drink commercial brews, since homebrews have a bunch more active yeast in suspension.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about an iodine allergy? Did you happen to use idophor to sanitize your equipment?

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No infection that is toxic to humans can grow in beer. But having said that there are alergies that can be triggured by ingredients in beer...

Like already mentioned;

Iodine/shellfish alergies from homebrew that Iodophor style sanitizers are used (switching to starsan will end that one.)

Gluten/wheat alergies...especially obviously in wheat beers, but even with barley based beers as well (there are some gluten free recipes on here.)

Yeast Allergies...It is possible to be allergic to yeast, but evidenlty, according to what I just read, if you are allergic to brewers yeast you also would be allergic to bread yeasts, snce the body can't determine the difference between the two....(There's probably nothing really that you can do with this one...it is doubtful that filtering gets rid of all the yeast, but I could be wrong...if someone is sick from homebrew but not from BMC and is allergic to bread, then maybe filtering does work.)

Lactose intolerance...Drinking any beers containing Lactose, such as a sweet stouts, will cause the same syptoms as drinking milk, or eating dairy...stomach cramps, gas, etc. The solution is to use splenda or another non fermentable sugar that isn't made from milk.

There's probably allergies to hops as well, though I can't find anything other than conjecture online about it.

But if someones getting "sick" from drinking homebrew it is most likely an allergy to one of those substances.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply