Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Shrink wrap screw-top growlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #11
Jonnio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you made up your mind before posting, but I will throw my $.02 in here.

With the amount of time and effort you put into brewing why risk ruining a couple gallons of your beer and possibly creating a dangerous situation?

For your original question regarding heat shrink - The only thing that would be able to do is to keep the caps from unscrewing. Growlers don't hold pressure because of the seal on the lid, not because they come unscrewed. So, basically your just wasting extra money in the tubing.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Heat shrink is used ONLY to provide a LEGALLY SEALED container for the purpose of driving the beer home from the brewpub.

Attempting to create a stronger seal with it is delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My local brewpub sells growlers that they fill and store. I wouldn't recommend trying this at home though. Just get some 22oz bottles and bottling will go faster, or get something like the "tap-a-draft" kit.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Lumpy, here's your biggest obstacle:

GROWLERS ARE NOT PRESSURE VESSELS! PERIOD.

In order for beer to carbonate, it needs to be under pressure. When pressure builds in a container that wasn't designed to hold it, the results are unpredictable at best. At worst, the vessel EXPLODES!

Why then, do breweries/pubs use growlers at all? They dispense an ALREADY CARBONATED beverage into them, with the expectation that the growler will be kept chilled and the product will be consumed within a few days. Because of this, the growler doesn't have to hold pressure or even hold a seal.

However, it seems that your mind is already made up. You posted here to ask advice, then ignored the advice you got. Best wishes.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
lynnmassguy
Recipes 

Default You can bottle with screw top growlers.

You can absolute positively bottle and bottle condition with screw top 64oz growlers. Anyone who says you can't obviously hasn't tried it and is giving an armchair answer. I know because I do it all the time. A lot. Over and over. You can, it works very well, and you you don't need to do anything differently when bottling. I use these caps. I recommend them because I've tried them and they work. These caps will not bulge as some people speculate. Other things may work but I can't comment on them because I haven't tried them. I hope this is the straight answer to the question. They carbonate at the same rate as 12oz bottles. (Great in 2 weeks.) I assume you could blow them up by keeping unsanitary conditions and contaminating them with bacteria or over priming but that can be said of any bottle.

Try it. Don't believe me? Just try 1. You'll see.

There is no reason to shrink wrap.

There is also the possibility that I've just been amazingly lucky the last (got to be near 100) times I've used them.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
butler1850
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmassguy View Post
You can absolute positively bottle and bottle condition with screw top 64oz growlers. Anyone who says you can't obviously hasn't tried it and is giving an armchair answer. I know because I do it all the time. A lot. Over and over. You can, it works very well, and you you don't need to do anything differently when bottling. I use these caps. I recommend them because I've tried them and they work. These caps will not bulge as some people speculate. Other things may work but I can't comment on them because I haven't tried them. I hope this is the straight answer to the question. They carbonate at the same rate as 12oz bottles. (Great in 2 weeks.) I assume you could blow them up by keeping unsanitary conditions and contaminating them with bacteria or over priming but that can be said of any bottle.

Try it. Don't believe me? Just try 1. You'll see.

There is no reason to shrink wrap.

There is also the possibility that I've just been amazingly lucky the last (got to be near 100) times I've used them.

I can't agree more. I came into the thread to post the link to those exact caps. Every batch of beer I brew is put into at least 2 of these, often 3 or 4. No problems with carbonation, no problems with pressure.

Good advice, even if it comes from someone from Lynn. (I come from a long line of Lynners.)

Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmassguy View Post

You must be lucky, cause you are stressing the growler by carbonating in it. There are loads of stories of folks doing that and after a few times, the bottom of the growler falls out for no apparent reason other than a slight thermal shock (like pouring cold beer into a room temp growler).

You either have heavy duty bottles, or are just very lucky to this point.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #18
MalasaluD
Recipes 

what if you put duck tape around the growlers? do you think there is a chance of it holding better and the glass might be able to handle the pressure

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #19
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalasaluD View Post
what if you duck tape the growlers? do you think there is a chance of it holding better
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it going to take to drive this point home?!?!?!

GROWLERS WERE NOT DESIGNED TO HOLD PRESSURE!!!

You are risking your beer and possibly injury should you naturally carbonate your beer inside them. Just because it COULD work doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. It's a bit like making an open fire on your kitchen floor to heat your house. Sure, it'll heat the house, and it's possible that the fire won't spread, but why chance it?!?!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4916 Times on 3565 Posts
Likes Given: 990

The seal isn't really the issue, although that could be a problem with most of the growlers I've seen. The problem I see is that the glass is not meant to hold pressure. Yes, the beer you buy in them is carbonated, but not at a high pressure. Priming and bottling causes a mini-fermentation in the bottle, which can cause far more pressure per square inch than a simple carbonated brew storage vessel needs to be made to hold.

Some have done it, and have had no bottle bombs. I'm glad to hear that- but I would never chance that.

Edit- Yuri types faster than I do. Yeah, what he said.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply