Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Shouldn't you avoid drinking the yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallkiller View Post
That's the entire reason we pour it, but for weizens it appears people mix the yeast into the beer before drinking. Wouldn't you get a stomach ache or the farts?
Generally, it's a good idea to minimize transfer of yeast into the bottles, and decanting carefully to minimize the transfer of yeast into the glass, because it has such a pronounced flavor impact. You can, of course, drink the yeast that is left behind separately if you like the taste or potential health benefits. Gastrointestinal effects should wane after a few weeks of doing this.

For some styles, especially unfiltered wheat beers, the yeast is a desired flavor component. Therefore, those beers shouldn't be decanted, but the swirling thing is optional.

In summary: It depends.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Gastrointestinal effects should wane after a few weeks of doing this.
i like to call it Gastronomical. it makes it sound awesomer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The yeast i the beer is not a bad thing, in fact it is full of vitamin B complex. You can buy it in many healthfood stores, and the Belgian's practically worship it for it's healthful benefits.

But most folks, especially Americans who for generations have been weened on crystal clear, pasturized and filtered "dead" beers like BMC are frightened of the cloudyness and yeasty taste of bottle conditioned beers with a lot of yeast in it.We have been encultured to be used to bland, tasteless, massed produced pablum, so many folks are downright scared of "Real" things that may be sour, or raw, or earthy.

And yes folks do have issues, initially, dealing with the oligosaccyhrydes in yeast, so folks in the beginning do get gassy, or some, have GI issues, but eventually we tolerate it. Just look at the threads about yeast farts and you'll see. We've all gone through it, and our gut's gotten used to it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #24
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 194

A home brew (or Belgian) a day keeps the doctor away?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Great article Revvy.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro View Post
Now you tell me. I told my wife it was her asparagus soup.
Oh my. A slew of home brew and asparagus soup and I would want to kick myself out of the house.

-------------------
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Old 11-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always have a tight yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle that never goes into the glass, even if I hold it straight up. Guess I'm rinsing all my health benefits down the drain.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I always have a tight yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle that never goes into the glass, even if I hold it straight up. Guess I'm rinsing all my health benefits down the drain.
I do too. I only drink the yeast once in awhile.

(But I fart enough anyway.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
i imagine that, if you don't filter your beer there is still some yeast left floating around in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #30
Butter
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When I was stationed in Germany, some people swirled the yeast into suspension, some didn't. I liked it either way.

Quick Reply