Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should you bring yeast to room temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
fredGSX
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Should you bring yeast to room temp?

So I am making my first batch and I am having the typical questions about my brew. It has been about 18 hours an absolutly NO action in my fermentor. It looks like mud water (pic) with nothing on the bottom.

I am making a Hefeweizen using the following:
7 lbs of Muntons Wheat Malt (syrup)
1+ oz Hallertauer Hops for bittering (4 HBU)
1/4 oz Hallertauer Hops for finishing
White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast

I had everything by the book and sanatized out the wazoo, but the only thing I question is the yeast. I have seen that you need to airate the yeast and I don't quite understand what is needed for that. I made my beer using just under 2 gallons of wort and the rest, cold spring water I kept in the fridge. This brought it from boiling to about 79 degrees. I then took the yeast out of the fridge, shook it in the bottle and left it on the counter with the wort in the carboy for 2 hours. I then added the yeast by shaking and opening the bottle and pouring in. Put on my sanatized air lock and placed in the basement which is about 69.5 to 71 degrees.

I am fine with playing the waiting game, but I ma just wondering if there is anything I might have failed at doing correctly.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Without a starter it could take some time. Wait. You could still shake the carboy to aerate it more.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
fredGSX

Recipes 

I just went down and I have some stuff is happening now, but no blow off yet. I am sure the action will change over night. Can you explain 'without a starter.' What starter or form of starting should I be using. I have followed all directions I have read and I have not seen anything about a starter.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

By starter he means that you pitch your yeast into a 1-2 liter batch or so of wort (just some water and DME) about a day or so ahead of actually pitching into your beer. This gives your yeast a head start and they can begin multiplying and reach sufficient numbers before pitching into your actual beer. This is typically recommended for liquid yeast, although it isn't required. By not making a yeast starter first you simply underpitched and that can lead to longer lag time while the yeast build in numbers inside your beer.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A starter basically gives you a better chance of having the correct amount of yeast to properly eat the sugar in the wort. You may be OK using no stater if your beer is under 1.040(maybe) A good tool to use is Mr Malty and check the pitching calculator it will tell you what you need either using dry or liquid yeast. Remember you are counting on living organisms to do there thing not a chemical reaction. Search the forum on how to make a starter, but basicaly its a mini beer for yeast to east reproduce and make more to properly attenuate your beer

Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Krelja
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
By starter he means that you pitch your yeast into a 1-2 liter batch or so of wort (just some water and DME) about a day or so ahead of actually pitching into your beer. This gives your yeast a head start and they can begin multiplying and reach sufficient numbers before pitching into your actual beer. This is typically recommended for liquid yeast, although it isn't required. By not making a yeast starter first you simply underpitched and that can lead to longer lag time while the yeast build in numbers inside your beer.
more good info he beat me to some info it's hard to drink and typ at the same time. I started typing 10 mins ago

Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Two vials work for the rich and lazy. Poor and lazy do what what you did. I'm poor and resourceful and make a smaller batch then reuse the yeast.

What you are seeing is called low kraeusen.

Last edited by Malticulous; 08-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
fredGSX

Recipes 

I will have to read up further on this before asking anything else. I am a regular on car forums and hate when people as questions and you have to spoon feed it to them. I am not really sure what DME is and if it is wort, the how do you have wort before you even start making beer? Also I am interested to see how you can save the yeast for another batch....interesting. Thanks for all your replys!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also do a search for "Yeast Washing Illustrated". Great thread on reusing your yeast.

You're doing fine. Don't sweat it.

What was the Original Gravity for your beer?

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
fredGSX

Recipes 

Thanks for the video, I will be looking into the yeast washing as you have recommended. I was told you did not 'have' to do SG checks, so for my first batch I have selected to not do any because I am mainly focused on just making the beer. I did not want to risk contamination of the fermentor and not know what I might have done wrong. My next batch I will definetly be checking SG. I am trying to just do a few steps at a time since I am in the learning stage and I was already nervous as hell making the first batch.

I did watch the video and that was a good explaination of the yeast starter. I did not even think about checking YouTube for video's. I am sure there is ton's of information to be had there also.

Quick Reply