Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should Witbier be drank young?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should Witbier be drank young?

I've read that that witbiers should be consumed as young as possible. Is this true. I have a witbier in primary right now. I'm thinking 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottle. Sound about right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Sounds good to me.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's what they say, that it is best fresh, but I can tell you that I opened a bottle of witbier from my archive the other day, in the bottle for 6 months, and I didn't notice anything worse about it.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Witbier doesn't age all that well, but it'll still be fine after a few months and possibly longer.
But I enjoy mine best within a month of brewday - the "greenness" actually adds to the refreshing explosion of interesting flavors that subsides a little after they have had a chance to mellow.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
allanmac00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Witbier doesn't age all that well, but it'll still be fine after a few months and possibly longer.
But I enjoy mine best within a month of brewday - the "greenness" actually adds to the refreshing explosion of interesting flavors that subsides a little after they have had a chance to mellow.
So, 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks bottle? Or 1 week primary, 3 weeks bottle?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

How about 3-4 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottle?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00 View Post
So, 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks bottle? Or 1 week primary, 3 weeks bottle?
For my Wits, I do about 2 weeks primary at 68 degrees, followed by 1.5-2 weeks in the bottle at 75 degrees to an estimated 2.8 Volumes of CO2, but I let hydro/refract readings, visual examination and taste determine the exact schedule I'll follow for any given batch. YMMV on how long the carbonation will take - 2-3 weeks at 70 is a good average, but I found that my wits tend to be a bit on the quicker side. I always like them best just after they have reached max carbonation, but they remain excellent beers for a couple of weeks before the flavors start to mellow and smooth out the "edge" that I enjoy in a wit.

I wouldn't do this kind of aggressive schedule for anything but a light wheat beer. My barley ales take at least six weeks from brewday to be ready to drink, and often a good bit longer than that.
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply