The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should a take a gravity check

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Gopher40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should a take a gravity check

Midwest Superior Strong Ale has been in primary (bucket) for 1 week now. Instructions say to transfer to carboy after 5-7 days. I have not taken a second gravity reading yet (the SG was 1.061 or so). My first beer I did not use a secondary (it was a Hefeweizen), but I would like to clear this one up. It just seems like 5-7 days is kind of on the early side to transfer. Should I take a gravity on this beer? Right now I am getting a bubble about every 45 secs or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Leave it alone for a month, then if you plan on bulk aging that BIG beer, rack it to a secondary for a month or more. Ignore the airlock. But if you aren't moving the beer right away, you do not need to take a hydro reading right now.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
s1080
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are questioning your gravity, then I say rock out a reading at see what it says. Couldn't hurt. And it will give you a better idea on how much more time you should give it.

Also, and this is just a side note because I got in trouble with this as well when I first started, don't measure your fermentation by the amount of bubbles or airlock activity. Many things can cause them such as a slight temperature change to a small jostling when you walk past the fermentor. When in doubt-o trust the hydro (or refractometer-o)

...Getting free beer is kind of like getting laid after a really long Dungeons & Dragons session. Not only does it feel great doing it, but you feel like you're cheating the natural order of the universe.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks. Ignore your kit instructions, a beer with an OG above 1.060 needs more than 5-7 days for the yeast to do their job and then have time to clean up all the byproducts of fermentation. The yeast make the beer, all we do is make the sugar water to feed to the yeast. Give them plenty of time to do their job!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Gopher40
Recipes 

Waiting it will be then, at least a couple more weeks. Should I not even bother taking a reading until then? I am seeing I will need to buy a second primary to keep the pipeline going! Like I have read in here before...the hardest thing is the patience part!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher40 View Post
Waiting it will be then, at least a couple more weeks. Should I not even bother taking a reading until then? I am seeing I will need to buy a second primary to keep the pipeline going! Like I have read in here before...the hardest thing is the patience part!
Don't bother. You are not going to do anything based on the result other than satisfy your curiosity. Check it in a month.

GT

Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
erkwist
Recipes 

I recently made a big beer (1.082) I racked it to secondary on Friday (27 days) and it will sit in there for at least 3 weeks before I bottle it to condition even longer. I didn't even bother with a grav. reading when I racked. I'll take one at the end of the month when I start thinking about bottles.

Quick Reply