Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I be worried? Long ferment time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Auswin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I be worried? Long ferment time

Hey everyone. I'm brewing my first high-grav beer, and perhaps this is just a by-product of the style -- but I wanted to get some reassurance that something strange isn't happening.

Monday will mark three weeks of fermentation, and while visible signs have slowed -- it's definitely still going. Airlock is 'bubbling' roughly once every 30 seconds, and while the krausen dropped it's sill active.

Took a specific gravity reading this morning, and it game out at 13.72% ABV. I tasted a little of the solution, and it tastes good -- albeit a little boozy.

I took the opportunity to dry hop it while I was testing the gravity, but I'm wondering how much longer I'll need to wait until bottling. Should I test the gravity again in a week?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 212

The bubbling at this late in the game is probably due to changes in pressure and temp and not fermentation.

What is the gravity at now and I don't mean the %alcohol reading but the actual gravity. What was the OG?

It's probably done so when you finish dry hopping, package it!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Measure the FG again in two days, if it's the same, you are good to go. I agree with duboman though, this time of year there are a lot of atmospheric changes going on. The bubbling could be many things.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Big beers can take longer to ferment. I wouldn't have dry hopped till it was at a stable FG. And def use the gravity scale next tiem,not the ABV scale on the other side...

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I did a huge Belgian, it took 4 weeks to ferment. It also tasted like crap until it was 3+ months old. Patience is very hard with big beers. One of the guys in my brew club won a Gold with a RIS, one of the better brews I've ever had. So it is worth it.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Auswin
Recipes 

Thanks for the input everyone. Here are the gravity readings, in case those help:

OG (wort at 72 degrees): 1.149
SG (solution at 65 degrees): 1.048

Quick Reply