Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I use gelatine before racking off the primary into bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
kenmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should I use gelatine before racking off the primary into bottles?

Hey guys...
The local brew supplier gave me a pack of gelatine and said that I can use that to settle out the yeast to make a clearer beer. If I use this will it take *all* the yeast out so that there'll be nothing to prime the bottles?
Cheers
Ken

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Sasquatch

Recipes 

My understanding is that gelatine does not take out the yeast, but microscopic proteins floating in the beer. Go ahead and add it in secondary, or even primary. That's how the kits seem to work...

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In my experience, I got crappy carbonation after I used the stuff. I will never do it again and will be happy with "not so clear" beer. No harm in what's floating around in there and it does not seem to affect the taste. Besides, after a few brews, no one really seems to care how the stuff looks.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Exactly. Clarification through sedimentation is enough for me... I'll drink opaque beer as long as it's ready for me.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Grand so, I'll skip the gelatine. The yeast doesn't bother me at all, it's just some "guest drinkers" that don't like it so much...
K

Quick Reply