Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I test?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
petergriffen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I test?

So this is my first brew. It is a hoppy pale ale. I have had it fermenting for 10 days now. Should I check the gravity now to make sure it has stopped moving?
Also all I have is a few packes of cbrite, so to clean my turkey baster to check the gravity can I make up a pot of cleaner and then leave it in the bucket for a week or two not to waste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A) welcome
B) I would recommend getting something like this, test jar, so you don't waste so much just to test. If you are talking about saving the cleaning solution, i would think leaving it in an open pot for an extended period of time would make it unsanitary but Im not sure. I wouldn't do it.

If you really want to keep the solution, maybe get a spray bottle and keep it in there? Anyone on here do that?

Keg #1: Oatmeal Stout (WLP004)
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout (WLP037)
Keg #3: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Keg #4: Empty
Bottled: Apfelwein, Scottish 60/-
On Deck: Simtennial Pale Ale

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
petergriffen
Recipes 

So check the gravity?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Rushis
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the krausen has dropped into solution and there is no visible sign of fermentation, you can check the gravity. I usually wait until one week after the krausen has dropped before starting specific gravity checks. One thing to always keep in mind, your only real indicator of fermentation progress is a specific gravity reading. Airlock activity, krausen, etc. are not reliable indicators of progress.

Search the HBT forum for Patience and Bottle Conditioning and Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs. Both of these threads provided a invaluable insight into the brewing process.

Is CBrite a sanitizer? For cleaning my turkey baster, I soak it in oxyclean and then sanitize it in an Iodophor solution before taking a sample. Without knowing what type of cleaner CBrite is, I can't tell if you can reuse/store the cleaning solution.

Last edited by Rushis; 12-16-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

You need to check it 3 days in a row too.

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Check the gravity and set the sample next to your fermenter. Check the sample in 3 days, if the gravity has changed, you'll need another sample.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
petergriffen
Recipes 

Okay so I tested it. I started at 1.061 and now 10 days later I am at 1.012. I will check for the next few days. And I boiled my baster for a while hopefully that was good enough. Maybe bottle this weekend?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

definitely check it again, but i would bet that you're probably done... i'm sure the turkey baster won't be a problem and if you're next reading is the same, you'll likely be OK to bottle this weekend. enjoy!

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 120

if your gravity has stayed the same for a few days then it should be safe to bottle.....but you may want to let it rest in the fermenter to let the yeast relax, clean up after themselves, basically let the beer clear a bit more.(like another week or two) I know the waiting is likely killing you, but it WILL be worth it, then bottle it up and enjoy 1 bottle each week for the first three weeks so you can see how the beer matures as it conditions. then once you have waited the 3 weeks you can start enjoying your brew. when you pop the last bottle you will see that the last one really does taste the best, and thus the rewards of waiting! as good as this batch will probably taste, your next one will be better!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
melicent
Recipes 

when you say check the gravity 3 days in a row -- does that mean take 3 separate samples, or test the gravity of one sample, 3 times?

thanks!

Quick Reply