Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I still have krausen at this point?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should I still have krausen at this point?

I brewed an ESB on Sunday night, and it started off gangbusters. First thing Monday morning, krausen was already blowing out of the blowoff tube. By this point it's mostly receded back into the carboy (6 gallon). But there's still a really thick, almost 2" layer of krausen that's usually been gone by this point on most of my previous beers.

I used Wyest Thames yeast with a starter. OG on this beer is 1.050, and it's been kept at a consistent 65F. Is it possible that this is the ideal fermentation, and that I've just under-fermented all my previous beers (if the krausen is gone after a few days)? Or did I over-pitch? Or do I need to just relax?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Relax. The temperature is low, which is good, so your krausen should hang around a little longer. Unless you dumped in a 4 liter starter I don't think you over pitched.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You have krausen to the point when it falls.

In other words don't worry. No fermentation is ever the same, and it is an organic process, so it has it's own timeframe and agenda, which is often totally different from ours.

If you have krausen you have fermentation, and that is all that matters.

And when it's over, it's over. Just let it happen.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in a similar boat with an AHB double chocolate stout. It's been fermenting for over 2 weeks, and it still has a very thick layer of almost pillowy caramel Krausen on the top of it... normally by now all of my krausen in other brews would have fallen and become trub.
Anyone else get this from the double choco stout?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83 View Post
Relax. The temperature is low, which is good, so your krausen should hang around a little longer. Unless you dumped in a 4 liter starter I don't think you over pitched.

I hear a lot of opinions abount under pitching, but is it possible to OVER pitch?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
I hear a lot of opinions abount under pitching, but is it possible to OVER pitch?
Yes, absolutely.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

Is it OK to rack while the krausen is still on top? Is it going to taste like crap if I suck any of that in??

Old 12-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale to the Chief View Post
Is it OK to rack while the krausen is still on top? Is it going to taste like crap if I suck any of that in??
Why do you want to rack?

Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

If it has krausen it isn't done fermenting yet.

I don't know if you get this, but you are not in charge, the yeasts are. Get outta the habit of thinking about it being your time table, it's the yeasties who are the experts and the bosses of the beer. When it is done doing what it needs to do, the krauzen will fall.

Quite a few of us just leave our beers in primary for 4 weeks, then bottle, the yeast finish feremnting then they clean up the byproducts of fermentation...It makes for great beer.

Patience and you will be rewarded

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 12-04-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

the beer's ready to be racked. it's been in the primary for 2 weeks and i've reached my final gravity. but there is still a thick, fluffy krausen (maybe that is not the right word) sitting on top of the beer. I didn't know if I have to wait for that to fall before I can rack.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What type of brew and what is your gravity reading right now? I have had some brews still bubbling at two weeks. There are a lot of variables.

Quick Reply