Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I stay or should I go....

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
BRUbaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Concord, VA
Posts: 44
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Should I stay or should I go....

Background:
First batch, 5 gallon Scottish ale LME kit, went in plastic fermentor last Saturday (1/1/11) with a OG of 1.036 and a little unstrained trub.

Situation:

Two award winning mentors differ in recommendations.
-One says direct bottle in two weeks.
-Other says use secondary before bottling.
-*Kit says to direct bottle after one week

I figure i need to check the FG today. What do you all think?


Thanks
__________________
I am relaxed. I'm not at all worried, but i've have had numerous homebrews...

ON DECK - Heather Guit
PRIMARY - Chocolate Baltic Oatmeal Porter w/fig
SECONDARY - Empty
BOTTLED:
Smoked Molasses Roasted Oatmeal Porter, Milk & Honey Gruit, Graham Cracker Brown Ale, Monk's Blood clone, Yarrow & Heather Ale, (3)Dark Island Scottish Ale clone, (3)Roasted Oatmeal Honey Porter, (2)Hickory Smoked Porter, Stone IPA clone, Oktoberfest
BRUbaker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sisters, Oregon
Posts: 1,557
Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

bottle in 2 weeks

__________________
Mongrel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
ChandlerBang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,038
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

About half this forum will tell you primary and the other half will tell you secondary. I primary 4 ish weeks then bottle/ keg when I don't NEED a secondary for something else. I don't want to bother racking again if I don't have to. I rather be reading the forum and drinking a scrumptious beer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and do NOT bottle after one week like the kit says. Either way you go, wait a couple (3+) weeks before bottling.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Struct View Post
I would've made a crayon schematic if I thought this was going to hang people up.
ChandlerBang is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 6,545
Liked 724 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default

They're all wrong. Leave it in the primary longer so the yeast cake can continue to chew on the byproducts that can cause off flavors. Give it 3 to 4 weeks. Then bottle.

If you feel that you really need to, you can secondary that after 2 or 3 weeks to help it clarify but not sooner.

The longer you leave it in the fermenter, the more compacted the yeast and trub will become and the clearer the beer will be.

__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sisters, Oregon
Posts: 1,557
Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

when I said two weeks, I meant two weeks from now. So that would be 3 total.

__________________
Mongrel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Luis Valley, CO
Posts: 1,761
Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

WHOOAAAAA...FIRST BATCH REMEMBER??? Do you remember how anxious YOU were to get a taste of your first?

BRUbaker, your process will change with your experience. It IS better to wait, but who are we kidding, you want to taste this wonderful creation...BEER FROM YOUR OWN HANDS (and the yeastie beasties ).
Its also better to wait til its in the bottle 3 weeks or more before tasting, but that ain't gonna happen either!

My recommendation, leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks, longer if you can stand it. If you need the primary to brew another batch and its a choice between buying another bucket and buying another kit, rack it to a secondary and brew on. Bottle and try one after a week...make some notes. Try another after week 2...make some notes. Rinse and repeat. This will give you something to compare to. Next brew, leave a little longer. Get the pipeline going so you CAN be more patient. But BRU, lets be honest, your last beer will be the best beer, you will lament its passing and wish you had a few more, and you will brew again better than before.

Welcome to your new obsession

__________________
TANSTAAFB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

So one of your mentors said leave it in the primary for another 2 weeks (that's what I would do), and the other said transfer to a secondary.
Did your second mentor say to do that now, or do it in another week or so?
If he said transfer now, then I would disagree with him. (I used to use secondaries all the time, but found that I got much better results if I waited for at least 2 weeks before transferring to the secondary.) Now I get even better results by leaving it in the primary for 3 - 4 weeks unless I'm dry hopping, or lagering.
If you're not going to do anything within the next day or so, there is no point in taking a gravity reading now (unless you need an excuse to drink a sample of green beer).

[Edit] I did'nt say that right. If I'm dry hopping or lagering, I leave it in the primary for 3 - 4 weeks before racking, and dry hopping or lagering. [/Edit]
-a.

__________________

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
azfalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Provo, Utah
Posts: 126
Default

as a new brewer and lack of experience...and patience im in the same boat. Tomorrow will be the first week of fermentation..bubbling stopped yesterday. Im not sure if I should look at it, get a gravity reading and rack it or just do nothing lol

__________________

Primary - Heather Amber
Secondary - Empty
Bottled - none (first brew)
On Deck - Howlin Hefe-weizen

azfalcon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
BRUbaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Concord, VA
Posts: 44
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Like i said to my mentors, I'm more interested in quality process than drinking the beer Right Now. The local store has a great selection of real beers that can take care of me 'till whenever.

From the comments it looks like this beer will be in the primary for a month. Don't know if i'll secondary it then or just bottle. More reading for sure. I've not done the gravity reading nor plan to do one at this time. The lid will remain on the fermentor until it's time to bottle or rack.


Thanks everyone

__________________
I am relaxed. I'm not at all worried, but i've have had numerous homebrews...

ON DECK - Heather Guit
PRIMARY - Chocolate Baltic Oatmeal Porter w/fig
SECONDARY - Empty
BOTTLED:
Smoked Molasses Roasted Oatmeal Porter, Milk & Honey Gruit, Graham Cracker Brown Ale, Monk's Blood clone, Yarrow & Heather Ale, (3)Dark Island Scottish Ale clone, (3)Roasted Oatmeal Honey Porter, (2)Hickory Smoked Porter, Stone IPA clone, Oktoberfest

Last edited by BRUbaker; 01-08-2011 at 10:58 PM.
BRUbaker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Luis Valley, CO
Posts: 1,761
Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfalcon View Post
as a new brewer and lack of experience...and patience im in the same boat. Tomorrow will be the first week of fermentation..bubbling stopped yesterday. Im not sure if I should look at it, get a gravity reading and rack it or just do nothing lol
We understand...we've ALL been there!!!

Let it go at least another week, 2 or 3 is better. But if you just can't stand it, at least take a gravity reading, wait 3-4 days, and take another. If it's stable, you can bottle and at least you bought yourself another 1/2 a week!!!
__________________
TANSTAAFB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there anything in the krausen that needs to stay in the beer? KCBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 04-12-2010 01:27 AM
How Long Does It Stay Fresh? oneawesomeguy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 02-23-2010 03:19 AM
New bung, won't stay in carboy. emoutal Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 08-20-2008 07:35 PM
First try at Hobgoblin - STAY AWAY FROM THE ROLLING PIN! Jonnio Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 02-23-2008 11:04 PM
How do I stay cool in the Tropics? Tanuki Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-08-2006 05:34 PM