Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
gover151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I Secondary?

So after searching many threads and the FAQ in this thread I havn't been able to come up with a definite answer due to the different opinions. Given my equipment, a primary bucket and a glass carboy I'm wondering what my best option is.

My first batch went straight into the glass Carboy, after 4 weeks I plan on bottling it, my second batch is in the primary bucket right now and when I bottle it will have been in two weeks, so my options are to transfer to the carboy, or leave it in the primary and mix up a new batch and go straight to the carboy for a month.

Not sure if it matters or not but I'm using Coopers kits to get my feet wet.

I don't want to start another debate, just looking for peoples experiences from when they first started.

Also, can you get a kit for oatmeal stout I've been reading about, sounds like it would be the ideal breakfast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by gover151
So after searching many threads and the FAQ in this thread I havn't been able to come up with a definite answer due to the different opinions. Given my equipment, a primary bucket and a glass carboy I'm wondering what my best option is.

My first batch went straight into the glass Carboy, after 4 weeks I plan on bottling it, my second batch is in the primary bucket right now and when I bottle it will have been in two weeks, so my options are to transfer to the carboy, or leave it in the primary and mix up a new batch and go straight to the carboy for a month.

Not sure if it matters or not but I'm using Coopers kits to get my feet wet.

I don't want to start another debate, just looking for peoples experiences from when they first started.

Also, can you get a kit for oatmeal stout I've been reading about, sounds like it would be the ideal breakfast
Sorry but you can't raise this question without re-opening a long standing debate

IMO as well as many others, extended primary with no secondary is perfectly fine and secondary is only used for fruit or oak or long term bulk conditioning.

If you want to brew more beer then get another primary

If you're comfortable racking beer to a secondary To clear the beer then do so, honestly, there is no. Right or wrong and it's really up to the individual brewer.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My new response to this question is - move it to secondary only if you have a good reason to. You'll have to figure out what works for you, but for me, good reasons to use a secondary include:

1) adding fruit, oak, or other flavor addition like cocoa nibs
2) long term, bulk aging, including lagering
3) you need the primary for another brew (even if you have more than 1 primary you'll still run into this)

Reasons, for me, not to move the beer:
1) dry hopping (I have no desire to move a beer to another vessel for just a few days and I see no detriment to dry hopping in the primary)
2) to clear the beer - there is nothing magical about using a secondary that will clear your beer faster. Yeast and other particles fall out of suspension at the same rate whether the beer is in primary or secondary.
3) because the recipe/instructions said so

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

+1 on duboman's reply.

Next Up: Superbowl Stout

Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
gover151
Recipes 

Fair enough, so a secondary question, am I ok using my glass carboy as a primary? The local u-brew said this was not a good idea due to the small opening, however they have also given me some advice which contradicts alot of what a I read on here, and he also looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if they sell bottling buckets, asking what are those?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by gover151
Fair enough, so a secondary question, am I ok using my glass carboy as a primary? The local u-brew said this was not a good idea due to the small opening, however they have also given me some advice which contradicts alot of what a I read on here, and he also looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if they sell bottling buckets, asking what are those?
If you are brewing a 5 gallon batch then you want either a 6.5 gallon carboy or the same sized bucket, any less and there is not enough head space for the krausen-either way, use a blow off!

If you choose to secondary then you want a 5 gallon carboy with an "s" type airlock to prevent suck back and the smaller carboy minimizes head space and oxidation. Rack 'quietly' to minimize aeration of the finished beer! Never move the beer from primary unlit at FG!

Jlem is spot on

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just moved my saison to a carboy secondary because I wanted to free up the bucket. Not a big deal at all, just be sanitary. Or you can always buy another primary bucket like I did, but now here I am still looking for more primary room and going to a secondary.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #8
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I have never used anything but a glass carboy for fermentation. Be carefull lugging it around, buy a brew hauler. I like watching my beer, I guess I'm a beer voyeur.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Kashue Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
3) you need the primary for another brew (even if you have more than 1 primary you'll still run into this)
That's the only reason that I normally use secondary. 99% of the time it's just to free up a ferment vessel. One time I racked onto wood chips.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

NO secondary... for extended primary high OG I use glass. Quick turn around bacthes (low abv) I use buckets or better bottles, and you might as well buy more now (buckets with lids are only $15) believe me you'll be doing it down the road eventually...

Quick Reply