Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I pitch more yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Brak23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So its stalled. Its been about a full month (less two days) and has been at 1.040 for the last 3 weeks.

I have another thing of yeast and ready to plop it in. My question now is, Do I need to re-Aerate the wort with the new batch of yeast? (transfer to clean carboy, pitch yeast, shake shake). Or can I just dump it in the current carboy with yeast cake and skip the aeration?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

If it's dry,re-hydrate it & then pitch. I wouldn't aerate it,since it has had yeast in it already.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Brak23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Added more white labs Edinburgh yeast on Sunday. Has had almost zero airlock activity (which doesn't mean much). But the gravity has gone from 1.040 to 1.035 in about 4 days. So I'm crossing my fingers that it keeps munching away. I'm supposed to get to about 1.023 I believe

Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Brak23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its been the exact same read out for 4 days straight now. The added yeast only dropped it about .005 total.

Im just frustrated because im really not sure what to do, what I did wrong. I was told by a guy who has brewed this specific recipe 20-30 times that its great and tasty. Yet for whatever reason I can't seem to get mine to ferment. I've followed the exact processes that ive used in previous brews that have been successful, but nothing seems to be working.

On top of that, people have been giving me advice that is all over the map. So im really not sure what to do at this point. Its been about 5 weeks since I started this brew.

Should I keep letting it sit and do its thing? How long do I give before I end up having to pitch it because its not fermenting out?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak23 View Post
Its been the exact same read out for 4 days straight now. The added yeast only dropped it about .005 total.

Im just frustrated because im really not sure what to do, what I did wrong. I was told by a guy who has brewed this specific recipe 20-30 times that its great and tasty. Yet for whatever reason I can't seem to get mine to ferment. I've followed the exact processes that ive used in previous brews that have been successful, but nothing seems to be working.

On top of that, people have been giving me advice that is all over the map. So im really not sure what to do at this point. Its been about 5 weeks since I started this brew.

Should I keep letting it sit and do its thing? How long do I give before I end up having to pitch it because its not fermenting out?
brew something else while you wait for this stout to do it's thing and come back to it in another month...or two. you could also pitch some nottingham (or some other neutral flavor yeast) dry yeast but i would bring the temp down to around 65 if i did that.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #16
Brak23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why bring it down to 65? Does that work better for that kind of yeast versus the 70-75?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #17
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Why bring it down to 65? Does that work better for that kind of yeast versus the 70-75?
yes. at a higher temp you may get some unwanted flavors. i ferment all of my beers at the lower end of their temp range, that and pure O2 have put my last 4-5 batches in a whole new category of good.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Like I already stated, you should have pitched a more attenuative yeast that's neutral like WLP001. You have a ton of dextrinous malts in there so don't expect it to go much lower using the edinburgh.

Also, never aerate after its already been fermenting.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
Brak23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
Like I already stated, you should have pitched a more attenuative yeast that's neutral like WLP001. You have a ton of dextrinous malts in there so don't expect it to go much lower using the edinburgh.

Also, never aerate after its already been fermenting.
With the WLP001, should I make a starter prior? Or should I just pour it right into the fermenter.

I never aerated after fermentation, read it was bad bad bad. So I left it alone.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
With the WLP001, should I make a starter prior? Or should I just pour it right into the fermenter.

I never aerated after fermentation, read it was bad bad bad. So I left it alone.
I'd make a small starter just to get the yeast active before throwing them in but its probably not necessary. At the point your at now I'd consider just letting it go with what you've done. Unless you've taken samples and they tasted far sweeter than you wanted, just give it a little more time and bottle it up and save the new yeast for the next batch. I'm sure the beer will be still be very drinkable, it just won't be to style. Who really cares about styles anyways as long as you like it.

Quick Reply