Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I make a yeast starter for a 1.075 OG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
sethP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I make a yeast starter for a 1.075 OG?

I had planned on it and was under the impression that I would need to with this big of a beer but one of the brewers at my LHBS said that it really wasn't necessary, just add yeast nutrients in the last 10-15 min of the boil. I'm making NB's Black Ipa extract kit with WYEAST 1272 American II. Expected OG of 1.075. Fermentation temps will be around 72 degrees.

I'd really rather not mess with a starter if i don't have to (haven't had to yet). What do you guys think and what has worked best for you?

BTW this will be my 4th batch and I'm loving making and drinking my own beer, can't beat it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe it is recommended to make a starter on any beer over 1.056. Before i got my equipment for making starters(stir plate and flask) I was just throwing the vial of white labs in and rdwhahb. Biggest beer i made with that method was 1.085. Now i make starters for every beer. I personally think the beers using starters tasted better(just 1 man's opinion) than those using the just pitch the vial method.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
travtele615
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

According to Beersmith's yeast calculations... It recommends 274.1 Billion yeast cells for that OG.

Depending on the "made on date" of the Wyeast package, it could have quite a bit less than 100 billion cells.

I'd recommend the starter. It'll only help and is relatively a cheap considering the money spent on the brew.

You can look up the Mr. Malty Calculator online and punch in all the relevant data from the yeast, OG as well as what kind of starter you can make (Stir Plate, Shake it when you can method etc. )

Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yes.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yes.
otherwise you will be starting a new thread saying... Help it has been three days & no airlock activity/ should i pitch more yeast?

If you do not want to make a starter, just grab a packet of dry US-05 yeast. Yeast does not really matter in an IPA, it should just be "clean" to let the hops shine through. Rehydrate the yeast in warm water (sprinkling into the wort kills half of them; you need a lotta yeast for that high OG).

And 72* is too high; try to ferment in mid 60's. (search: swamp cooler)

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
sethP
Recipes 

Great responses, thanks guys. I've decided to go with the starter, making it tonight, 24hrs from now I'll refrigerate it (i'll be out of town for part of the week at Cigar City's brewery event) and brew sunday. I have one pound of DME and I'm not positive on the DME to water ratio I should use but it shouldn't be hard to figure out. I'm thinking about a half gallon starter should be plenty big enough even though it won't get me to 270 billion-ish and I'll decant tho wort of of the yeast cake.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
Yes.
Quote of the day... +1
http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
BlackOakBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau
I believe it is recommended to make a starter on any beer over 1.056. Before i got my equipment for making starters(stir plate and flask) I was just throwing the vial of white labs in and rdwhahb. Biggest beer i made with that method was 1.085. Now i make starters for every beer. I personally think the beers using starters tasted better(just 1 man's opinion) than those using the just pitch the vial method.
This. Always making a starter, always gives you the chance to make a better beer. Pretty much, if you're asking if you should, then you should.

All we are saying, is give yeast a chance!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My first AG batch I decided to make an IIPA with OG of 1.082. I made a starter with a single packet of 1056 and fermented at about 72F. I got a big ol bucket of finger nail polish remover. With those big beers it is very important to pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast and ferment at a low enough temperature that they don't get stressed. When underpitching at high temps you may get lucky sometimes, but eventually you are going to get a very expensive dumper.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Or you could just pitch 2 packs of US05.

Quick Reply