Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I go with online shop? Or local shop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Jade_The_Raw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Should I go with online shop? Or local shop?

I'm all about supporting small business, and I would like to start on a relationship with them too.

Or should I buy online? I think I would have a bigger selection of stuff and maybe a better prrice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I buy local. That way they are there when I need something Saturday afternoon.

I also refuse to shop at Walmart and believe in voting with my wallet even when it means I pay more...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I have to do both. For pricing on smaller items I can't beat the online prices. There are also a lot of things that I cannot get at my LHBS.

I do get bulk grains from the LHBS because of the shipping charges that would come with online ordering.

I am looking into a group grain buy, if I can figure out how to arrange time off to make the pickup.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1905 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

I would support a local brew supply store if there was good one around here. But the only one available is expensive, the selection mediocre and it's about an hour drive away. 95% of my shopping is online.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If you want to support local businesses, they have something that meets your needs and is fairly priced, buy local. You'll satisfy your desire to help a local business, establish a rapport and have the ability to have items in hand and a face to talk to if there are issues. Buy online if you can only get what you need online, or if the local place is grossly overpriced.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Buy local for what you can. If I had a "local" homebrew store, I probably wouldn't even look at online stores - an online store isn't going to help you if you realize last minute that you're out of caps, or any other supply. And you'll meet other brewers in your area. If you're like me and the nearest HBS is over two hours away...then, stop in and pay them a visit when you're in town, but online is about going to have to be your choice.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Support your LHBS!

There are times when you will have to order online to find certain things but as RC00 said, if you support them now then they will hopefully be there when you need something the day of.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
cm_laflamme
Recipes 

For equipment it's nearly impossible for your LHBS to beat or even match the online prices, so I would suggest going that route for the equipment purchases if you don't have everything already. For everything else I use my LHBS. I've found that the price are about the same as you would pay online, and even if it's a little more the price difference makes up for the convenience and the ability to have a place to make emergency trips on brew days. If you have several LHBSs visit them all, and within 5 minutes of talking to the owner (this might be a generalization but I have yet to visit a LHBS that didn't have an owner/operator there) you'll know if it's someplace that you want to give your hard earned money for you. There are 3 in my area, I've gone to one once and will never go back due to the combination of poor customer service and over pricing, another was a run of the mill store that left me feeling like a 40 degree day, and lastly the one that I frequent which has a knowledgable owner that engages pretty much every customer, takes pride in his work and is honest about his prices. The third store I've sent all my fellow home brewers to with rave reviews and will continue to do as such.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sorry to the LHBS

I'm just not in a $ position to pay 30 dollars more for something I have to go pick up when I can get it dropped at my door for $30 less than at my LHBS. This was a recent purchase of $140. $170 at the LHBS, they wouldn't budge on their price. The owner doesnt work there - his managers do a good job of holding his price...and losing the business. I do want to support them - but I ain't gonna be their cash cow.

Grain only at the LHBS. - And I'm taking it up the arse when I do.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

LHBS. Mine is great, knowledgeable reasonably priced and did I mention nice. The always have what I need and lots of things I don't. I often get a chuckle when I think oh I am sure they won't have X item, walk in and I don't even have to ask it is sitting out in plain sight. I started out ordering from Northern Brewer, then when I started hanging out at the shop I realized how great they were. It is much nicer to be able to walk in and get what I want( except on Sunday and Mondays since they are closed) instead of ordering and waiting a week.

Quick Reply