Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should i dump the batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
shamfein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Should i dump the batch

Hey All,

Im hoping i can get some good advice on this query

I brewed a Brewferm Christmas Beer about 7 weeks ago,

The OG was 1.085 and the final gravity was 1.027, i was worried about this when i was bottling as i thought it was a bit high, especially after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

I bottled as per the instructions with no priming sugar and it has been sitting for exactly a month now, I decided out of curiosity to try one last night to see how its progressing and i was very suprised to see that it was flat, no carbonation whatsoever. tasted very sweet still so it looks like it hasnt conditioned whatsoever.

The instructions do say to condition for at least 3 months but now im thinking that 2 more months will not change the beer at all.

Im half considering dumping it and starting a new batch with the bottles i used.

Has anyone any advice??

Cheers for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Why no priming sugar? That makes no sense. I'm guessing that fermentation may have finished early with your FG reading. I would buy some of those carving tabs, uncap them, drop some in each, and recap. Then wait two weeks and see where you're at. Don't dump it.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
SEABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Looks like this has come up before:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/noob...as-ale-206375/

Based on some of the comments in that thread, a little more time in bottles might actually help.

I also agree with the other comments in that thread that say it's probably better to let the fermentation go all the way to completion (as determined by the gravity not changing over a several day period) and then adding priming sugar when you bottle.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
shamfein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cheers for the help, ye maybe some carb drops might help.

im not sure why they say no priming sugar but i followed it none the less as i presume they know what they are talking about.

the gravity was the same from day 14 right up to day 21 when i bottled. so i def thought the fermenting was complete.

I really dont want to wait the required 3 months or more to find out i have horribly tasting flat sweet beer.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Queequeg
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 47

its sounds like whats refered to as the "prohibition method" were by you bottle before the final gravity has been reach and the remaining fermentation produces enough Co2 to carb the bottles.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
shamfein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well whatever its doing in the bottles, its certainly taking its fecking time!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Bottles are cheap since they are nearly infinitely reusable. Buy another set of bottles and let this beer sit in a warm location to see if it will carb up. If it doesn't carb up, then put in the carbonation tabs and let it carb. You're only out the time then. You don't have to dump a beer that might be just excellent with more time.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamfein View Post
im not sure why they say no priming sugar but i followed it none the less as i presume they know what they are talking about.
The instructions vary widely in accuracy between different kit producers.

In my opinion, it is really dumb of their instructions to not recommend using priming sugar. Their instructions assume you will bottle the beer while the beer is still fermenting (prior to reaching a terminal FG). That's tricky to do, the timeframe to bottle will vary based on fermentation conditions like temperature, yeast pitching rate, etc. And, it's a great way to cause bottle bombs. Very foolish on their part.

It's best practice to ferment your beer until the final gravity is stable. Then reintroduce a controlled amount of simple sugars to the beer (priming sugar), then bottle.

There's likely no fermentable sugars remaining in your beer and thus no way for the fermentation process to generate CO2 and carbonate your beer. I recommend opening all the bottles and either adding carbonation tabs to each bottle individually (best approach to avoid oxygenation). Or, carefully add all the beer into a bottling bucking, add priming sugar, and rebottle. This will work, but may introduce oxygen into your finished beer which can dull/stale your beer (oxidation). Although in some beer styles, mostly higher alcohol beers, a slight oxidation is acceptable as the oxidation adds complexity and sherry notes with aging. Either approach beats dumping the beer in my opinion as this issue is easily fixed.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1836 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1309

Maybe just get some Cooper's carb drops & use one per 12oz bottle. those worked pretty good in the past for me.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamfein View Post
Hey All,

Im hoping i can get some good advice on this query

I brewed a Brewferm Christmas Beer about 7 weeks ago,

The OG was 1.085 and the final gravity was 1.027, i was worried about this when i was bottling as i thought it was a bit high, especially after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

I bottled as per the instructions with no priming sugar and it has been sitting for exactly a month now, I decided out of curiosity to try one last night to see how its progressing and i was very suprised to see that it was flat, no carbonation whatsoever. tasted very sweet still so it looks like it hasnt conditioned whatsoever.

The instructions do say to condition for at least 3 months but now im thinking that 2 more months will not change the beer at all.

Im half considering dumping it and starting a new batch with the bottles i used.

Has anyone any advice??

Cheers for the help
Leave the bottles alone at 70 deg for at least the 3 months that the instructions called for, maybe go 4 to 5 or even 6 months.

After that put 1 bottle in the fridge and leave it alone for 3 days, the reason for the 3 days is to allow the co2 to go into solution, then pull it out and try it. if its low on carbonation, let the batch sit at 70 deg for another month, they will carb up with enough time.

The sweetness you tasted means there is lots of sugar left, to help carb up with, unless you mashed at a really high temp.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Quick Reply