New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I be doing a partial boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
BlendieOfIndie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should I be doing a partial boil?

On my last (first) batch, it took almost an hour to get 5.5 gal. to boil. Then I boiled the wort for an hour. I'm using my kitchen stove (weak gas burners). Is this an indicator that I should be doing a partial boil? Does it matter how long it takes to bring the pot to a boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Mr Nick
Recipes 

You might want to provide some more information? I did a partial boil using LME But you have not indicated what you are using.

Most home brew never stays around long enough for it to get to become good beer.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

It doesn't matter how long it takes to heat the wort, but if the burner won't maintain a rolling boil, you have problems with DMS (dimethyl sulfide). This chemical is created during the boil and if you can only simmer the wort, it will stay in your brew and cause an off-flavor. Covering the kettle will make matters worse.

I'd stick with partial boils until you have a better heat source.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I'd suggest if you CAN do a full boil, do it. I used my kitchen stove to boil before I moved to a propane burner and never had a problem. One trick that helped me was placing my pot over two burners instead of one. It heated up a little quicker, but more importantly, helped me maintain a rolling boil.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

another option is two smaller pots and split the boil evenly, as well as ALL the ingredients.
smaller volumes are easier to cool without a wort chiller, and lighter to transport and pour.

otherwise, if you can boil outside, go pickup a turkey fryer w/ propane hookup. if you have an outdoor natural gas hookup, you could get a natural gas burner setup.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply