New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should i do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
edin88
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Should i do it?

Hi,

I have a Founder's Breakfast stout clone that's been sitting in primary for 22 days. I wanna bottle it next weekend or so (not later), so I want to add a final addition of chocolate and coffee. After reading a bunch I've decided I'm gonna coldbrew the coffee and add it to the bottling bucket. That seems simple enough. As for the chocolate, all the reading I did didn't clear things up enough.

What I've done so far is boiled half a cup of water with 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder. I have a sludgy, unsweetened cocoay mess in a cup chilling in my fridge now. If i dump this slowly into primary once it's cooled down a bit, will it add the desired chocolate-tasting boost that I'm looking for (after a week)? Or should i just take 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder and dump it into primary, skipping the boiling with the water?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
jrobidoux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If your adding that chocolate close to bottling time watch out for over carbonation.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's unsweetened chocolate so there isn't anything to ferment. Plus, a week is enough to grind through any sugar addition if there was one.

When dealing with cocoa powder, I have always added it at flame-out and gotten good chocolate flavor the I don't see any reason the OP's plan won't work fine.

Quick Reply