Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I Clean This Out Of My Brew Kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Powerslave1724
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I Clean This Out Of My Brew Kettle?

Hi All, after brewing my third batch I noticed this black stain at the bottom of my kettle. I use an aluminum kettle and used some Oxyclean to clean it out. This is my third batch and I didn't have this issue with the first two which I find strange. I'm not sure if this is bad or fine to just leave. Could it be heavy oxidation?

Me thinks i'm going to be investing in a stainless kettle soon...

beer.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Most likely it's burned wort, and it would probably add some burned flavor to your next batch.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree that it looks like burned sugar. Did you add extract or sugar with the burner on? Always turn off the burner during these additions until the sugar or extract is completely dissolved or you will get a burn. You may have roughed up the bottom of your kettle making sticking and burning more likely.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks like burned-on extract. I'd recommend putting a gallon or so of water in and heating it to boiling. Let it boil for a few minutes, then try scraping at the stuff with a wooden or plastic spatula. It should come right off. You might want to follow-up with an abrasive pad made for non-stick pans, then boil some more water in it to re-establish your oxidation layer.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Powerslave1724
Recipes 

Yeah that makes sense I did add the extract while it was on. If i take a towel to it, i do get some black stuff on the towel as well. I added the extract when the burner was on low which i did for the first two (the first beer i brewed was the same as this) and the beer came out amazing. Good to know going forward to turn off the burner.

I assume I can just scrub it off? Although I may remove the oxide layer. I'll just stick it in the oven if I need to and boil some more water.

Think this will throw some off flavors in my beer?! Hope I didn't wreck this batch...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Powerslave1724
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMemory View Post
Looks like burned-on extract. I'd recommend putting a gallon or so of water in and heating it to boiling. Let it boil for a few minutes, then try scraping at the stuff with a wooden or plastic spatula. It should come right off. You might want to follow-up with an abrasive pad made for non-stick pans, then boil some more water in it to re-establish your oxidation layer.
Thanks for the tip

Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I see a top heavy rooster...what do you see?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2291 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1713

I use a dobie & PBW to clean my SS BK's inside & out. They're polished & it makes'em gleam again. Should work on this. Just rinse well & oxidize it again.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMemory View Post
Won't scraping it with an abrasive pad scratch off the protective seal that the aluminum pot has on it? Could add some off flavors to his next batch, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I use brillo pads, which looks like steel wool and I haven't noticed scratching? The front of the box specifically shows pots and pans as well as the directions saying the same. Might take that stuff off with some elbow grease fairly well. I would let it soak in soapy water for a couple hours first though.....

Quick Reply