The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I check gravity today?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
joe6pack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I check gravity today?

Should I check my gravity today? I brewed 13 days ago, its a hefeweizen extract kit with some specialty grain. OG was 1.052. It's pretty well stopped bubbling, maybe a little one every couple of minutes now.

I've been good, and haven't even peeked once. I would really like to open it up and see, but if it's too early I don't want to risk an infection unnecessarily. Also, I don't plan on a secondary fermentation.

Thanks.

I give up trying to keep this signature current.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

No reason not to check, if you want to. When are you planning on bottling? You could check to today (and of course taste that sample!) and check it again before bottling, just to make sure it's done.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

+1 yooper, joe RDWHAHB cracking the lid a couple times will not hurt your beer, and if I were you I would be itching to taste that sample

Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
joe6pack
Recipes 

I most definitely am itching to try it. I don't really know when I am going to bottle. Whenever it's ready I guess... I don't really have a date set for it yet. And oh yeah Yooper, I was not going to dump out the sample.

I'll go put the turkey baster in starsan in a sec. Will a different temp of the liquid cause a skewed reading? It was 73 or so when I checked the OG on brew day, now its probably 64 or so.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3092 Times on 3014 Posts
Likes Given: 158

You need to correct your readings to whatever your hydrometer is calibrated to, 68 or 60 degrees F. I'm assuming your 1.052 OG reading was at 73dF. That would be 1.053 corrected for temperature.

More information on correcting readings for temperature can be found at How to Brew - By John Palmer - Appendix A - Using Hydrometers

Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
joe6pack
Recipes 

Ok I checked it. Other than being warm and flat (duh), it's not half bad. Lots of lemon notes. I'm quite pleased actually. It's a lot darker than a lot of hefeweizens I've seen, but I expected that b/c its extract.

The reading I got this time was 1.012 @ 61 deg F. I'll look up that appendix in Palmer and try to figure out what it all translates too (will I sip on the very first fruits of my home brewing labor!) Thanks again for all of your help.

P.S. I took a pic of the fermenter... how do I post it here? I clicked the insert image icon and it prompts me for a url.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
Ok I checked it. Other than being warm and flat (duh), it's not half bad. Lots of lemon notes. I'm quite pleased actually. It's a lot darker than a lot of hefeweizens I've seen, but I expected that b/c its extract.

The reading I got this time was 1.012 @ 61 deg F. I'll look up that appendix in Palmer and try to figure out what it all translates too (will I sip on the very first fruits of my home brewing labor!) Thanks again for all of your help.

P.S. I took a pic of the fermenter... how do I post it here? I clicked the insert image icon and it prompts me for a url.
Well, at 61, 1.012 is 1.012! Yeah! Sounds great. It's done, more than likely. You're at a hair over 76% attenuation, and at 5.3% ABV.

The best way to post a picture is to host it someplace like photobucket or flicker, then when it asks for the URL paste that in. Please do that- I want to see!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
joe6pack
Recipes 

This is a jury rig I came up with to keep the specialty grain bag off of the bottom of the pot.

Here's the fermentation 13 days in.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Lookin' good!

1.012 sounds like a good FG for a Hefeweizen. Check it again day after tomorrow; if the gravity is the same, you're good to bottle.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
joe6pack
Recipes 

Good deal, I'm looking forward to the next batch!

Quick Reply