Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I bottle now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Encinoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I bottle now?

OK so...

First-timer, using the True Brew ingredient kit, all malt pale ale.

When I finished brewing my wort my OG was right on at 1.045 @ 78 Deg F (per instructions 1.043-1.045)

It has been about 8 days now. I never opened to check and resisted temptation until today. I checked my gravity and its also right on between the final range of 1.010-1.012

Now I'm getting gitty . Can I bottle today or should I wait for a little longer?

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Primary:Triple Rye Red Ale
Secondary:Empty :(

Bottles: Lights Out (#8) Belgian Trappist ale Surly Cynic PM clone, Sierra Red Rock IPA, St. Paul Porter, Pumpkin Ale, Carribou Slobber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check the batch's gravity for the next 2-3 days. As long as your beer's gravity is stable, you're safe to bottle. Just make sure that it is not still fermenting as you'll be looking at creating bottle bombs if you bottle too early. Now comes the fun of waiting another 2-3 weeks before the bottles are carbed up and ready to be drank!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Encinoman
Recipes 

At least I can get a new batch started while I'm waiting for this one to finish!

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Bottles: Lights Out (#8) Belgian Trappist ale Surly Cynic PM clone, Sierra Red Rock IPA, St. Paul Porter, Pumpkin Ale, Carribou Slobber

Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You'll have much better end results if you just leave it alone for 2 more weeks.

I remember my first couple of batches.... can't wait, bottle, drink it young, getting better with time, and the worst, the last bottle being the best!

Work on tasting new beers to see what you want to brew next. Save bottles and brew again.

You'll be happy if you wait, but I think the mistakes I made early helped me to brew better today.

Bull

Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Sure you can bottle as soon as fermentation has stopped. However, as has been suggested, the yeast will continue to do more even after all of the sugar has been converted, that will be converted. Things like consuming certain flavor compounds and turning them into others. For most beer styles, this is a desired process and one that you should encourage by leaving the beer on the yeast for a couple of weeks before bottling. Yes, it will happen to some extent in the bottle, but the beer will also get clearer in the fermenter, which will mean clearer beer and less yeast in the bottle.

Also, a couple of days prior to bottling, you may consider placing the fermenter gently into a fridge and "crash cooling" it, which will precipitate even more of the floaties to the bottom. Just remember to pull it out and let it warm back up before actually bottling.

But if you are really anxious to get it bottled, then RDWHAHB! Just make sure the ferment is done so you don't make bombs!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Another one for the "Wait" Camp. Just because you can bottle doesn't mean you should. If you leave the beer on the yeast for another 2-3 weeks then those little guys will clean up any off flavors or fermentation by-products for you. Your beer in the end will taste better.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
fatguy-littlecoat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

3 weeks min = better beer.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Encinoman
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice guys I let it sit for a couple more weeks

Quick Reply