Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I add some hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
ReverendBrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Should I add some hops?

I brewed up an Irish Red Ale kit from my LHBS last weekend. Pulled some out today to check the FG (1.011), and chilled and tasted the sample.

No hop aroma at all, which I've now learned is normal for this style. Should I just throw some more hops into the bucket a few days before bottling? I'd like to get more of an American Amber style beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, based on what you are saying then yes you should. It won't fall under the Irish Red style anymore but that seems to be the point so I guess you're ok with that. With a lower gravity beer an ounce of hops should be good for you. Anywhere from 3-7 days should get you a good result.

Any specific hop variety you were looking at? What was in the recipe? If you want American Cascade is always a safe dry hop recommendation.

I hate Walder Frey...

ReverendBrett Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2553 Times on 1503 Posts
Likes Given: 5739

I agree with all of the above, but just wanted to say that Willamette is a good American dry hop as well. I would be a bit worried how an American hop variety would fare in an Irish style. I would probably opt for an English hop like Fuggles or East Kent Goldings.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

ReverendBrett Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well my initial reaction is that you brewed an Irish red. Do this: say to yourself (out loud) "Irish reds are not hoppy beers" three times and then take a swig. You'll love it after that.

Now I am a hophead from way back so if you *really* want a hoppy amber brew this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/vale...-amber-235097/

I also have a really nice Irish red recipe but, um, it is not very hoppy!!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
ReverendBrett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for all the advice! I think I just picked the Irish Red because of the excitement to do my first batch. I didn't actually give any thought to what I was getting, or I would have grabbed and IPA. It just sounded good.

Then I spent last Saturday night down at Stone Brewing, and was just immersed in hops. Now tonight I have had a New Belgium Red Hoptober to start, then I taste my FG sample.

Needs more hops! In a couple weeks I'll dump in some more to bring the aroma up, style be damned!

Quick Reply