Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I add more yeast before bottling.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
emerex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I add more yeast before bottling.

Ok so here's the deal.

I brewed up a franzaskaner clone with the intention of not doing a secondary fermentation as its a wheat beer and should be cloudy and yeasty. The recipe however, said to rack to secondary after the first week and bottle after the second. The second week came and it was still bubbling in the airlock, very slowly, but bubbling none the less. I was also called to go to work out of state, so i racked to secondary to clear it a bit and get it off the cake and away from the krausen on the carboy. So, my question is, if it takes me another 2 weeks to get home to bottle, will I need to add yeast to ensure carbonation? Was racking to secondary and taking it off the yeast cake a bad idea?

Sorry for the long post.

Summary,
Wheat beer, 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks or so in secondary, will it have enough yeast to carbonate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You will have plenty of yeast.

The only time you might need to add yeast at bottling is with a high alcohol beer that has been bulk aging for many months. 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary is actually quite standard (though there was no need to move this beer to secondary)

Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

I agree,my last one sat on the yeast 4 weeks before being bottled. They're carbing & clearing beautifully. I wouldn't worry about it. Brewing isn't a very quick process. I think we all fret over that stuff for the 1st brew,maybe the first ten. But you get past it in your own good time. Just like the yeast doesn't get done right away,& is hard to kill.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
emerex
Recipes 

Man I love this forum! Such quick and informative responses! Thanks guys!

I'm sure I am being paranoid as this is my first brew and I spent a lot of time doing research before hand. So I have that "the first one has to be STELLAR" attitude. But I'll keep trying to RDWHAHB!!

Quick Reply