Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I Be Able to Smell My Fermenting Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
joeyjoejoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I Be Able to Smell My Fermenting Beer?

I brewed up my first batch of beer last night, I've got it sitting in a large dark closet. Opened the closet today and it smells like beer. This may be a stupid question, especially given that the airlock has holes in the top that allow bubbles to escape, but...

...should I be able to smell the beer this much without opening it up? I guess I'm just concerned that I haven't sealed it properly. There's a bung snugly in the carboy that has a hole in it, and the airlock is in that hole. Not sure there's anything else I can do. Just thought it was odd that nothing in the instructions mentioned this and I don't seem to see anything in the forums.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It is not uncommon for an off-gassing beer to fill the entire house with beer smells if you let it, even when it's properly sealed.

You're doing just fine.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
joeyjoejoe
Recipes 

Thank you for alleviating my newbie paranoia. Side note, it smells really good...

Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Skaggz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last Sunday I brewed up two 5 gallon batches. On Monday I had them sitting in the kitchen, fermenting away when my uncle came over and stated that the inside of the house smelled like the south side of Chico (where the Sierra Nevada brewery is located, about 30 minutes away so everyone in the area knows the smell). I took that as a compliment.

Primary 1: Apfelwine
Primary 2: Buddy's Brown Porter
Primary 3: "Brown" Hefeweizen (oops?)
Primary 4: Chocolate Stout

Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoe View Post
Side note, it smells really good...

It smells even better with heavy late-addition hops!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is better than buying and burning incense. It is a potpourri of goodness that you can drink.

spence

11RileyJ Likes This 
Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My amber ale blew off such smells that I caught whiffs of it emanating through the hallway on the floor of my apartment building. No complaints from the neighbors yet, and much to my surprise, my wife loves the way it smells. Here's to many more batches to come...

Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
RippinLt
Recipes 

i smelled my one way valve and it sort of smells like iodophor but thats probably because the solution inside the one way valve has it in there... I listened to everyone that said it doesnt cause any off flavors so im crossing my fingers when i say my beer shouldnt taste like iodophor....AH

Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinLt View Post
i smelled my one way valve and it sort of smells like iodophor but thats probably because the solution inside the one way valve has it in there... I listened to everyone that said it doesnt cause any off flavors so im crossing my fingers when i say my beer shouldnt taste like iodophor....AH
Forgive the question please - but did you use the right proportions? I ask because using the wrong proportions can cause some smells and perhaps some off flavors.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
RippinLt
Recipes 

Well there wasnt much contact between wort and solution, some drops that didn't dry. The smell is from my one way valve fluid which doesn't come in contact with the wort either so it will be fine. Perhaps after a few days of fermenting the co2 smell will override the iodophors. Who knows.... First batch, I'll do a second soon and compare. Thanks tho, I'll never be offended by a question from someone with advice

Quick Reply