Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Shelf life of yeast energizer, nutrient, etc..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
j-rad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Shelf life of yeast energizer, nutrient, etc..

I bought all the necessary items to try to make Skeeter Pee probably over a year ago, and want to make another batch now... just wondering if these items are still good to use (stored in container/bags they came in), or if I need to buy a new supply?

Yeast energizer
Yeast nutried
Wine tannin
K-meta
P. Sorbate
Sparkolloid

Most of it has hardened up slightly, but can be broken up (like sugar gets after sitting for a while).. any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Except for the sparkolloide? I get the rest in bulk and haven't had any "noticeable" problems. Mine is at least a year old.

....just add water.....

Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I bet mine is almost older from my lhbs i just got not too long ago, any body know if its ok to use the energizer like you would the nutrient? I used mine in a starter and forgot to put it in the boiling wort and so i just put some in to it cooled. I also have been adding it in the end of the full boil. I think its a good idea with using harvested washed yeast..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeast nutrient can get all clumped up and solid after a while - probably from excessive humidity in the summer. I had a bottle for a couple of years before I had to throw it away. Now I keep a bottle in the freezer along with my hops and it seems to be keeping just fine.

Quick Reply