Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > SG Not as high as expected

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
SkyDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SG Not as high as expected

Just cooked my first batch of Hop Head Double IPA which was supposed to have an SG of 1.070-1.074 but when I checked, it was 1.063. Did I do something wrong?

This particular batch used 4 oz. hops during the boil so I decided to use a hop bag to keep the trub down, which it did quite effectively.

Went through the usual 30+ minutes of steeping with the grains. Did a full 60 minute boil.

This is only my 5th batch ever but I have always had my SG in the range specified on the recipe before.

I started with 3 gallons for steeping, added almost 9 lbs. of LME which brought the level up pretty high in my 5 gal. pot. I did notice that I had to add more water to the primary due to losing a lot of volume with the use of the hop bag but I didn't think that would matter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Primary: Hop Head Double IPA
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Drinking: Midwest Porter, Flat Tire Ale, Honey Wiezen

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

What did you use for grains? I believe 9 lbs. of LME would put your gravity around 1.061, with a couple points per pound of steeping grains (give or take). So if you used 1 lb. of steeping grains that would put your S.G. around 1.063.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you stir the wort good priot to taking the reading?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
SkyDog
Recipes 

Ingredients were 9.3 lbs. Gold LME, 4 0z. Aromatic, 12 oz Camamel 60, 8 oz Victory Grain. 1 oz Chinook, 1 oz Cascade, and 1ozCentennial hops. I took the reading right after I aerated before pitching yeast. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
HOOTER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Ingredients were 9.3 lbs. Gold LME, 4 0z. Aromatic, 12 oz Camamel 60, 8 oz Victory Grain. 1 oz Chinook, 1 oz Cascade, and 1ozCentennial hops. I took the reading right after I aerated before pitching yeast. Thanks for the replies.
According to my (most likely inaccurate) calculations, that would put your OG at 1.067. Don't stress it. Call me lazy, but I've quit taking my original gravity reading because I never seem to hit my projected OG. I take a reading when I rack to secondary and when I bottle (those two readings are always the same because I leave my brew in secondary for at least a couple weeks to ensure fermentation is complete).

Quote:

Old 07-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
SkyDog
Recipes 

Thanks HOOTER. I didn't think it was a real big deal since it'll still be BEER.... Just curious. I'm looking forward to the secondary fermentation stage where I'll add two oz. of Cascade Leaf Hops. This will be my first time doing that and should be interesting. Can't wait to taste my "hoppy" brew.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
HOOTER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Thanks HOOTER. I didn't think it was a real big deal since it'll still be BEER.... Just curious. I'm looking forward to the secondary fermentation stage where I'll add two oz. of Cascade Leaf Hops. This will be my first time doing that and should be interesting. Can't wait to taste my "hoppy" brew.
Sure. BTW, secondary "fermentation" isn't really fermentation at all. Secondary if for clearing, aging, and in your case, dry hopping. Give that brew a couple weeks in primary before racking. Those Cascades will give your beer an excellent hop nose. Should be great.

Quote:

Quick Reply