SG changing over 30 mins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaman

Reaction score
I am new, this happened on my 7th batch. We cooled the wort, poured it into the primary, added water. Then I fillled the hydrometer, then I pitched the yeast.

The SG was 1.060. We went and ate dinner. 30 mins later, the SG was 1.070. Which SG corresponds to my potential AC? I wrote them both down, but wasn't sure which number I needed later.

Did you correct for temperature? Gravity changes with temperature. Could also be that the wort and water weren't mixed completely and your readings were inaccurate due to that.

they were mixed completly. Alos, then temperature change would have been insignificant, possibly 1 degree celcius.

Check again in another few minutes to get another reading. Is it possible that there were some bubbles along the top of the hydrometer with the first reading? If you accidentally took a reading from a bubble-level, that could cause your reading to be low. It doesn't really make sense that the OG would raise like that unless the temp changed more than you expected or there was incomplete mixing. That's all I got for ya... Sometimes it might not be mixed as well as we think it is.

Back