Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Semi-Urgent Priming Sugar Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
kathomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Semi-Urgent Priming Sugar Question

I brewed the Brewer's Best Milk Stout a few weeks ago and it is now bottling day. I was reading up on how to prepare the priming sugar and I'm a little confused. The directions for the kit say to mix the priming sugar packet (5oz) with 2 cups of water and boil, whereas John Palmer's book recommends ~2.8 oz of corn sugar for 2 cups of water (I used his nomograph on page 113, Fig 72) to determine the amount for ~70 degrees and ~2 for volume of CO2 (stouts should lie between 1.7 and 2.3 he suggests). If I were to put all 5 oz in at 70 degrees, I'd have a CO2 volume of almost 3. Any suggestions? This is semi-urgent since I want to bottle tonight but not on a tight schedule past that.
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It really depends on the carbonation level you would prefer. If you are looking to make the beer "correct for the style", then use John Palmer's recommendations. He knows far more about brewing than I do (and probably far more than whoever wrote your instruction sheet!)

With that being said, let me say that I prefer more than the "correct" amount of carbonation in my stouts. I usually use 4 to 5 ounces of corn sugar for most styles of beer. This is a personal preference, and I make the beer how I want it. If I entered a competition, I would probably lose points for the beer being "overcarbonated for the style", but that is not going to stop me from making it the way that I like it.

So it is really up to you. Anywhere between 2.8 ounces and 5 ounces will work, it just matters how carbonated you want the final beer to be...

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
It really depends on the carbonation level you would prefer. If you are looking to make the beer "correct for the style", then use John Palmer's recommendations. He knows far more about brewing than I do (and probably far more than whoever wrote your instruction sheet!)

With that being said, let me say that I prefer more than the "correct" amount of carbonation in my stouts. I usually use 4 to 5 ounces of corn sugar for most styles of beer. This is a personal preference, and I make the beer how I want it. If I entered a competition, I would probably lose points for the beer being "overcarbonated for the style", but that is not going to stop me from making it the way that I like it.

So it is really up to you. Anywhere between 2.8 ounces and 5 ounces will work, it just matters how carbonated you want the final beer to be...
One thing i heard on the brewing network in an old episode was one guy liked to over carb his competition beers a little. Since the judge pours it, swirls it and smells it, he said by the time of tasting it was at the right amount of carbonation.

Quick Reply