Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Selecting hops for dry-hop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Moonlighter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Selecting hops for dry-hop

My first IPA is in the fermenter and I'd like to dry hop it. I'm waiting a few weeks for active fermentation to complete and then I'm gonna stuff the hops into the primary, leave them for a week or 10 days, then rack to a bottling bucket. My questions:

Should I only use hops of the same variety that were used in the boil?

Should I stick to low Alpha Acid hops?

Should I just smell the hops I have available and toss in what I think smells good?

"The best beer is 'more' beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it just depends on your recipe, can you post what kind of hops you used in the boil? Depends what you want your aroma to be like. Floral, citrusy, piney, earthy etc. Simcoe is a great dry hop. You could use the same hops that you used at the end of the boil, within the last 10min, since you'll already get some aroma from those hops anyway, might as well amplify them.

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

Cascade and Centennial are classic for American IPA's, but you have tons of options today. I'm a fan of Amarillo for the grapefruit factor. You can mix a few that compliment each other too. Here's a break down that might help if you want to do something different than your late hop addition(s) - which is a great option too.

http://destroy.net/brewing/hopref-052010.pdf

Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Moonlighter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

@bourgeoisbee, thanks I'm sure that list will be handy many many times.

@chapa, the hops in my boil were: 2 oz. Warrior 60 min., 1 oz. Magnum 15 min. and 2 oz. Centennial 2 min.

The hops I have on hand are: 1 oz. Centennial, 1 oz. Magnum, 1 oz. Fuggles, and 1.5 oz. chinook. I figured on the centennial for the same reasons you gave, but I wondered if I could beef up the dry-hop with any of the others.

"The best beer is 'more' beer."

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWEagle View Post
Should I just smell the hops I have available and toss in what I think smells good?
+1

The delicate aromas that are driven off by the heat of the wort and the off gassing of CO2 during fermentation can be introduced by dry hopping. The smell from the bag is close to what you'll get from dry hopping.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

No problem. Nate Smith put it together, so I should give credit where it is due.

Quick Reply