New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Seems to be an issue with lighter Ales - Soapy taste

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Jcoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwash

Might be water but did you account for the change in AA% when you substituted Cascade for the other hops? If the Cascade is lower in AA% than the other and you just swapped out oz for oz then you ended up with fewer IBUs.

FWIW, you can probably skip the dishwasher part. The oxy clean should take care of it.
Yah I compensated. It's beyond any reasonable miss in that even if I hadn't. The hops schedule is pretty extensive and it was dry hopped. It's like there was hardly any added. Tastes more like a weakly hopped imperial pale ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmos
What sort of yeast/pitching rate are you using?

I had a soapy tang in my first batch. After reading “Major League Pitching,” written by Terry Foster, in the March/April 2012 issue of BYO, I was led to conclude that maybe I underpitched (had no clue about starters, etc. -- just dumped the vial in and crossed my fingers).

Since then I've been making generous starters using the mrmalty calculator and have not had an issue.
Admittedly I haven't used starters yet. I used 3 vials of WLP 007 in the ipa OG 1-078 and one package of notty for the centennial, was was something like 1-045

Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
triskelion
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 52

did the soapy taste go away over time?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Negative.... I later had my water tested and it wasn't much more than distilled, extremely low on calcium. That I think was a factor. I haven't had issues since

Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
HIlife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wanted to jump in and say that I had the exact same problem with EdWort's Haus pale ale, really muted hop flavors except for the soapiness. The water in Honolulu is pretty soft, our water reports don't show SO4 ever being above 30ppm.

I brewed the Outer Limits IPA a couple weeks with some gypsum to up my sulfate to a little over 200ppm and so far it tastes great in the primary. The hop flavor is pronounced and the bitterness is nice and sharp like it should have been with the APA.

This is a message to the future: If your pale ales are soapy, your sulfate is probably way too low.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
triskelion
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 52

don't know if this is a little of topic but what kind of water does everyone use? I have always used bottled water because our tap water is not that nice to drink and assumed that it would be the same for the beer made with it

Quick Reply